Sliding Patio Door Wonít Open

Old 12-28-18, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sliding Patio Door Wonít Open

Hi, My sliding patio door is locked (with lever) and wonít open. It was last used just a few hours earlier, and showed no sign of an issue. Without being able to open the door, I canít access the mechanism. I canít attach an actual image because I donít have a website to load it onto. The url here gives you a picture of a handle with a similar looking locking lever. Iíve tried pushing and lifting while trying to unlock. There is slight movement in the door and lever but the door still wonít open. Ideas? Thank you

ok. So url submitted under photo doesnít show. Here it is longhand: https://goo.gl/images/JzAnnC. I have an actual photo and short videoclip to post too if someone can tell me how.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-18, 04:12 AM
Received 64 Votes on 59 Posts
Remove the handle from the inside. That should give access to the lever that locks the door.

Old 12-28-18, 04:14 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Does the latch on the handle move and seems to be disconnected to the internal latch, or is the latch on the handle stuck in position?

If you're able to unscrew the handle from the door, you might be able to remove the face plate and reach in and flip the catch with your finger or a screwdriver.

Old 12-28-18, 06:38 AM
Thanks for input. Latch lever moves a bit when I try to lift it up to unlock it, but doesnít seem to actually unlock. I removed the inner handle and took photo (wish I could attach it). The latch lever attached to the handle seems fine. I tried to move the metal plate into which the latch lever fits but couldnít although I didnít give it a lot of welly and definitely didnít have the right tool. Iím not sure how much force to give it (Iím not strong anyway), and need to find a more robust tool. I dowsed the area with WD40 and will try again later. Iíve tried lifting the door as I turn the lever, but probably need another pair of hands to do everything properly.

Old 12-28-18, 06:31 PM
Nope. Canít move anything when handle removed either. Any other ideas?

Old 12-29-18, 04:51 AM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
If you have a second sliding patio door with the same lock, determine if the locking pawl moves up or down to unlock, Use the door wheel adjusters to move the door in the same direction as the pawl moves when unlocking. Try unlocking the door with your welly method. Good luck.

Old 12-29-18, 03:28 PM
Success! Lots of welly and brute force by stronger person released the catch. And Lo! A double catch mechanism working in opposite directions! Removed the mechanism from the door and drowned it in WD40. Works a treat now. Did adjust the reach of the catches a smidgen. Thanks all.