Relocating front door

Old 01-01-19, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Relocating front door

Hi & Happy New Year,

Attached are all photos showing my current front door at present. I'd really to relocate or move my front door from the current position to the new position that is in the same direction and about 4ft 1/2 away. According to the photo, it has a header I guess 6x4 or 8x4. However I don't see any stud next to the header (honestly I'm not really sure that right at the header, there's a stuck or not behind the wood siding - please see all the red circle in photos). Please advise me how to relocate or move my door into the new one. By the way, should I get a permit from the city to do this task.

I'd appreciate any advise and/or recommendation from all members!
Thank you in advance!

Edward

Attached Images        
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-19, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Framing it in for the door is easy. The biggest challenge you have in moving the door out there is that there is likely no footing under the front edge of that pad and if not, it would likely not be approved for use as an exterior wall. Plus the pad is not likely insulated so the floor edge would be cold and prone to sweating in winter months.

Yes, something like this needs to be permitted.

Old 01-01-19, 10:15 PM
Hi XSleeper,

Can you tell me more details about footing that you mentioned? Please correct me if I''m wrong. The floor between my front door and the position that I'd like to relocate is concrete. It's lower than the floor inside my house about 1" or so. There's a step from this concrete floor to the ground. Can I put a underlayment on the concrete before putting the laminate or hardwood floor? Can you let me know the idea or how to prepare the floor in order to relocate the entrance door.

Thanks
Edward

Old 01-02-19, 06:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Your house has a footing that is deep under the ground, below the frost line. You did not say where you live, but if you live up north, that footing might be 48" deep. The footing follows the house perimeter, and concrete walls extend from the footing to above grade... then load bearing walls are built on top of that. It's possible that the footing and foundation walls follow the existing exterior wall but do not extend under the porch at all. If not, you should not move the door out there, period.

Do you currently have a room in the basement underneath the concrete pad?

Old 01-02-19, 09:18 AM
Received 94 Votes on 85 Posts
Let me translate a bit,

Where the door is currently there will be a basement wall and footing or if no basement a footing.

Forward where you want to put the door is probably the edge of the pad, it's in that area where the question is regarding the footing.

I have a room under my front porch so I could do what you are proposing.

You need to confirm what is at the edge of the cement pad!!!

Old 01-03-19, 01:08 PM
Hi XSleeper,

There's no room or space under the concrete pad. Accessing to the basement, I can crawl close to the front door, I guess, then hit the foundation.

@Marq1: Thanks a lot for translating for me. I'd really appreciate about that.