Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Weatherstrip on transition butchered and won't "set" back evenly

Old 01-06-19, 07:37 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts

The rubber weatherstrip on the transition has scraped up due to the door motion.
When I try to set it back in and tape it down, it bubbles up and the weatherstripping is exactly at both endpoints on the transition so the torn apart weatherstripping must've stretched so it can't be laid back down evenly.
What are my options?
Thanks.

Attached Images   
Old 01-06-19, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 999 Votes on 910 Posts
You need to get a replacement weatherstrip because yours is torn. They are sold in stores. If it's easier, get a whole new threshold... you just need to determine the right height, because they are sold in several sizes. An exact fit often involves cutting the door bottom at a bevel to fit the threshold perfectly.

Old 01-07-19, 08:10 AM
J
Received 108 Votes on 95 Posts
As XSleeper suggest it can be replaced after the new one is cut to length and the tracks are cleaned out.
I just hate that type of threshold, there always an issue.
Most often I remove them and replace the threshold with an adjustable one, cut off the bottom of the door and install a sweep to the bottom of the door.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...C36A/100140107
They make one like this, but it's made of anodized aluminum.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...36BR/100174107
The way to remove the old one is to remove the screws and cut it in half.
That new style threshold can be cut with any mitre saw, no special blade needed.
There always to long, I cut it to length and use the cut off piece as a template to cut out the jambs with an ossilating saw.
It's slid in place from the inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: