Help with sliding door that gets stuck

Old 01-20-19, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with sliding door that gets stuck

I have a video of the problem here:

https://imgur.com/UtMklb0

I am wondering if it is just a matter of replacing the plastic wheel? What specifically would I be looking for at the hardware store?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-19, 10:27 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Although those wheels are cracked, I don't think that is your problem. You need to adjust the door. Most likely there are adjustment screws at both the top and bottom and either end. If you want to replace the wheels you will need to remove the door. Most home improvement store should have replacements. But if you can't find them then go on line to SWISCO.com. Almost guarantee they will have them.

Old 01-20-19, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how adjusting the door would work - the door is top mounted onto the tracks and there is simply a pole sticking out of the floor that goes into the recessed bottom of the door.

Old 01-20-19, 11:21 AM
OK. What kind of trouble are you having with it? The video doesn't show the problem. But it seems as though it stops every few inches. Is it binding on the bottom or at one end? Did you try lubricating it? Try just a small squirt of WD40. Not too much, it tends to collect dirt. It seems your adjustment would take place by the nut holding the bracket to the top edge of the door. I'm assuming you have two of these mechanisms, one on each end.

Can you take a pic of the pole sticking out of the floor that goes into the recessed bottom of the door. I don't quite see what you mean.

Also they nut facing towards us. That has just a few threads engaged. Doesn't seem right. Looks like it's ready to fall off.

PS... you really should replace those cracked wheels, even though I don't think that is the major problem.

Old 01-20-19, 07:58 PM
In the video, you can see when the door stops, it is actually jammed. From feel, it seems like the left wheel is separating and getting caught on something when it rolls into the covered part of the wheel housing. For this reason, I did not try to lubricate as I do not think friction on the track is the cause of the problem. The wheels are not cracked, they seem rigid in a wheel position so that they can be easily replaced.

In regards to the nuts, they are fixed on tight. They are the fasteners for the door to the track mechanism and are not fully screwed on in all doors in the unit.

Old 01-21-19, 05:30 AM
Now you have me confused. In your first post and the video the wheels are clearly cracked. But now you say they are not.

On second look at the video I'm thinking the left wheel especially with that large space is part of the problem. Replace both wheels.

Can you provide a brand name of the door?

Go here to find a replacement.

https://www.swisco.com/srch?q=door+rollers#/?_=1&page=1