Glass door sagging

Old 01-30-19, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glass door sagging

Hello all,

I am trying to reset a glass door that's sagging and rubbing on the jamb opposite the hinge.

It's a thick glass door (about 1/2") with an aluminum top and bottom frame. The hinge consists of a floor plate (probably with a spindle and hole in the bottom of the door), and a header box of some sort with a pin going from the top of the door frame into the box. I already looked down from above and there are 2 adjusters for in-out adjustment, but not for left-right adjustment. I also rocked the door and the looseness is definitely in the header box, so to speak.

At the top of the jamb I don't see anything at all, just wallboard. Does anyone know how to find the header box, or whatever is needed to tighten the hinge pin?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-19, 07:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
Not familiar with the type of door you are referring to, but with glass storefront doors, it is very important that wedge blocks be installed around the perimeter of the glass... around the outside edge. If they skimped or are missing, the frame around the glass will be sloppy and will allow the door to sag slightly away from the hinge. The glass itself is what keeps the door perfectly square. So there should be a way to disassemble some snap in stops on at least one side of the door to examine the glass perimeter for those shims. If there is rubber spline, you have to remove that first. (Usually a rubber or plastic setting block is used in the framed opening for the glass)

But if the hinge side of the jamb is not plumb when checked with a 78" level, then THAT is the root of the problem.

Old 01-31-19, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Xsleeper.

In this case, the frame is tight to the glass. When I wobble the door, I can see that the top pin is tight to the frame, but loose in the header box.

Old 01-31-19, 05:28 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
From your description, I think you have this type door: CRL Door Rails

There are many manufacturers so you must start with that. A store that sells or installs storefronts will be able to help.