Windows In Stucco

Old 02-21-19, 10:26 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Windows In Stucco

So I'm going to be replacing windows in a stucco sided house. The siding is 1" foam board covered by 1 coat stucco. Total depth approx 1 3/8". I am using new construction windows however the ones I want to install come with their nail fin set at 1" depth only.

Is their anything odd with furring the window out 3/8" so the window trim is even after the existing stucco is patched. i.e. so it is not "sunk in" the stucco.

There are other window brands out their with the nail fin set back enough, just prefer window manufacturer I chose.

Note: These a new construction vinyl windows.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-19, 06:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
1" is a fairly standard setback for new construction windows. You have to do what you have to do. If you want the window to protrude more, that is the only way to do it.

But the part you are probably not considering is that you need a WRB over your shim, behind the fin, and flashing the top fin. That's why stucco (or EIFS... you have EIFS, not stucco) generally needs to be removed about 6" around the window so that new WRB or flashing tape can be installed around the window... and over the top fin. Then the EIFS gets repaired.

Old 02-22-19, 12:05 PM
I was just wondering if this is an accepted practice. My siding is one coat, not EIFS which is different. 3 Coat is typically less than 1" thick which would allow for these windows. One coat is typically 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" thick which presents the problem. The window mfr does not have install recommendations.

I just am unable to find any reference for flashing a furred out window which could be problematic as the WRB would need to take care of 3 dimensions vs 2.

Old 02-22-19, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
Technically you would need a z-flashing over the shim because flashing tape often says in the fine print that its not to be used as flashing. But that's just to exclude the flashing tape company from any liability. Like I said, its commonly done as needed because its your only option.

Old 02-22-19, 02:38 PM
OK, that makes sense. My buddy has a brake which I could make them with.

I'll be using a peel and stick to seal the windows. I'm guessing the z flashing would go over the P&S and underneath the WRB to "protect it"?

I'll probably cut a 45 at the edge of the shim where it meets the sheeting to give it slope up onto the nailing flange vs 2 90 degree angles. Help gravity do it's thing.

Old 02-22-19, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
The minimum z flashing you can make with a break is 5/8. So if you need less than that you will have to buy premade.