Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Antique door handle - no circlip - how to replace spring

Old 02-26-19, 11:39 AM

Hello. We have an old cast-iron door handle (see pictures) which has started to 'sag' over the last few months. The handle does not return to the closed position after the door is opened - even with gentle persuasion.

I presume this means the spring inside the handle is damaged or worn out. However, I can not see how to access the spring to inspect, remove or replace it.

This handle has no circlip or washer to remove.

Does anyone have any experience with these style of handles - and know whether or not the springs are replaceable?
Name:  handle-1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  227.9 KB

Name:  handle-3.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  174.8 KB

Name:  handle-5.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  179.5 KB

Name:  handle-6.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  239.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-19, 01:12 PM
The spring will be in the mortise section of the lockset. You need to remove it from the door to inspect.

Old 02-26-19, 02:06 PM
Hi John. Thanks for your reply. I actually tried swapping the mortise lock itself for a new one - as I thought the spring inside that might be problematic as well. From what I recall I didn't see a very significant difference after doing so; the handle still seemed to 'sag' after doing so.

Perhaps there was a fractional improvement after I changed the lock - but it seemed the door was still prone to opening of its own accord - so I thought the problem was the handles after all.

I will have another look on the weekend - since I didn't spend a great deal of time comparing to be honest.

I would be happy if the mortise lock was the cause of the problem. Replacing that is straight-forward. Replacing the handles, on the other hand, could be very awkward.

Old 02-26-19, 02:14 PM
By the way ...

I am to infer - from your response - that these door handles don't actually have internal springs?

(that they rely on the springs in the mortise locks instead?)

Old 02-26-19, 02:55 PM
Generally door handles move freely and the spring mechanism is in the mortise.

I do not see in your pictures how there would be a spring in that handle. The cam just prevents it from spinning all the way around.