Patio Door Idea

Old 02-28-19, 10:36 PM
Patio Door Idea

Need someone to talk me out of a potentially crazy idea... I have a 12' wide doorwall (2 sliding doors that latch in the middle and 2 fixed doors on the outsides) that I need to replace. I really like some of the glass bifold/accordian patio door options out there as I love on a lake and love the idea of opening the whole wall to the view but cannot find one for less than $6000, way more than I'm willing to spend on a door.

So I thought of a crazy idea, and looking for some smart people to point out the issues with it. I'm thinking I could get 2 - 6' sets of French doors, both inward opening, one left swing (right side of opening) and one right swing (left side of opening). I would then alter them in a couple of ways. 1) I would remove the left jamb from the right set and the right jamb from the left set, and join the top/bott jambs into one. 2) then I'd swap the 2 knobbed doors so both knobs meet in the middle. 3) I would attach each knobbed doors' hinges to the side of the 2 outside doors, essentially making 2 large accordian doors. 4) I would install a support caster to the bottom inside corner of the 2 inside doors to reduce stress on the outside hinges from essentially hang 2 doors off them with leverage. I'd also install door bolts on the 2 outside doors to keep them stationary as well as one of the knobbed doors, essentially turning it back into a regualr French door.

I feel this setup would allow me to use one of the middle 2 doors as a normal swinging door most of the time, but by opening the bolts, I could fold both sets of doors to the sides opening the full 12' opening, and for roughly $1000 all in, depending on which doors I go with.

Thinking I'll have to account for weather stripping between the doors as well as properly joining the top and bottom jambs and making sure my rough opening is laser square. Any other glaring problems I'm missing?
​​​​

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-19, 04:56 AM
Group Moderator
It might work but I think you will have problem with the doors sagging. Even though you intend to add a wheel to support the weight the floor will have to be perfectly flat and perpendicular to your wall/doors. Any imperfection and that wheel will either be lifting up on the door or not supporting anything.

Old 03-01-19, 07:03 AM
Great point, didn't think of that. Maybe a spring loaded castor that will act like a shock absorber to keep the wheel pressing hard to the ground? Not sure if I can get one strong enough, insulated steel door is pretty heavy.

Old 03-01-19, 08:44 AM
That is a big modification, and cost, to invest then find it doesn't work then what?

Better really think this one through!!

Old 03-01-19, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
I think you will find that the doors are not strong enough to withstand that kind of use. Most residential steel doors have a bit of wood around the perimeter then the core is cardboard honeycomb. I'm afraid you will have trouble with them twisting, binding and not aligning properly at first. Then over time the doors will simply start to come apart at the seams.