Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Custom Door Jambs Needed for 5/8 Drywall Walls?

Old 03-04-19, 11:32 AM

I am building a new house soon and read using 5/8 Type X drywall everywhere (instead of just the ceiling) has several benefits including flatter walls, reduced sound transmission between rooms and fire safety/insurance savings.

My thinking is if a standard size door jamb is 4-5/8" and a 2x4 wall with Type X is 4-6/8", the 1/8" difference is trivial unless the studs around the door were framed badly.

My designer recommends ordering custom size door jambs if I'm using 5/8" instead of 1/2" drywall. He said trim carpenters won't like standard depth frames and caulking on the door casing would look bad.

I think custom door jambs an extra 1/4" deep would add $20-40/door

Are custom door jambs worth it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-19, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 127
yes, IMO it will be worth it to get the jambs ordered correctly. Your choice is 4 9/16" or 4 13/16".

4 9/16" jambs would work but you would want the trimmers to add a 1/4" extension onto one side of the door... the side with no strike plate or hinges. They may or may not be willing to do that and even if they are it might cost more in materials and labor than $20-40. Plus if its painted, it would require the painter to caulk 2x around each door to do each side of each strip. Adding that 1/4" would add a detail onto the doors and casing reveal that is unnecessary... so yeah, I would order the right size jambs for the wall thickness. 4 13/16".

Old 03-16-19, 05:23 PM
Upvotes Received: 3
Hi, If you like a challenge you can buy a slab door and a set of 4 13/16 door jambs and assemble the door your self.
You could also pay the 40.00 dollars. Think long term . If you have 10 doors that's 400.00 dollars more, now if you own the house for 20 years the cost of the jambs is
20.00 per year or 5.5 cents a day. The choice is yours
Good Luck
Woodbutcher

Old 03-16-19, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 127
You could also get split jambs. However you do it it will cost more. Carpenters don't add extension jambs for free.