Base Plate For Sliding Glass Door

Old 03-06-19, 10:22 AM
Base Plate For Sliding Glass Door

Will being installing new SGDs. They currently have a 2 X 6 installed as a base-plate that is deteriorated after 20 years. It sits in a little pocket in the foundation (poured concrete). I will painting the replacement wood. The PT I have found usually has 1000's of little slices/spike holes where they inject the PT solution. I find that look unappealing. The last 1/2" or so of the edge is visible.

I was thinking of using heart redwood. Is there anything I should consider before going this route?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-19, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Redwood would work... place felt paper or flashing tape between it and the concrete. You could also use white pvc (Azek). 1" thick is called 5/4... 3/4" thick is called 4/4. If it needs to be 1 1/2" tall, use two layers of 3/4". Pvc will never rot. Shim under it if needed so that it will be perfectly level and straight. Caulk under it and along the edges with OSI Quad to keep water out of the pocket and to prevent air from coming under it. Fasten with 1/4" tapcons that have bugle heads (countersink so they are flush). Then run a couple heavy heads of sealant down on that sill before you set the door.

Old 03-06-19, 10:37 AM
Excellent ideas thanks Xsleeper!

(Had to use your name for the 25 characters minimum )

Old 03-06-19, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know why I said Trex instead of Azek, but I fixed it.