Shower Door off level, opens on its own

Old 03-30-19, 05:08 PM
Shower Door off level, opens on its own

Hello all! Recently we had my father in law put a master bath in our basement. The entire project was...endless it seemed.

We have a walk in shower that is closed off by two sliding glass doors on a metal track. Ever sense he put it in, I noticed that the moving door slides open on its own. For instance, I just took a shower and it happened 3 times.

I had my suspicions that the track wasn't level so I checked, and sure enough it is not. It is a bit off which causes the door to open. Is there any way I can fix this without taking the track out? The track is pretty well set and getting it out and then back in may not be the greatest option. Picture below is the current level.

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-19, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Well I don't know. A picture of your level and ceiling light sure doesn't help. Maybe take a picture from far enough back that we can see the whole door since we don't know anything about what it looks like. Does it hang from the top roller track?

Old 03-30-19, 06:31 PM
Apologies. Here are better pictures. Yes, it slides from the top.

Old 03-30-19, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Is the sill level? If so, if you measure the height on each side, the tracks on the wall should be the same length. So double check that.

The first thing I would probably try is to raise up the head piece on the side that is low. Temporarily put a shim in there to hold it up. Make sure that the doors are not being raised so high that they miss the bottom track. If that helps, you might need to put a couple stainless steel self tapping screws in to hold your head piece up at the correct height.

Or it could be that you need to cut one of the side tracks shorter... but you would need to verify how much room you have under the glass on that side... you would not want to cut 1/2" off one side if the glass only has 1/4" of space under it! That's why I would try raising the head piece first on the low side.

Old 03-30-19, 08:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Was your bubble picture on the threshold or the top rail? If top rail, follow X's instructions that adjustments need to be made to the low side to level things out.

Old 03-30-19, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Also, if you know the brand or model of the door, that might help. I know on Delta doors, if a door isn't plumb (if there is a gap where it meets the wall) you have to take the door off and adjust how it attaches to the roller clips.

Old 03-31-19, 06:16 AM
The shower door roller bracket should have a series of holes or an angled slot to adjust the roller height. Look at your instructions on how to adjust them, if not then you must raise one end of the track and secure it with a screw.

Old 03-31-19, 08:59 AM
It is a Delta. The rollers do have a series of holes that go progressively higher or lower. I wasn't sure if adjusting those would resolve this. If that's the case, should I do that first?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Si...7876/206268730

Here is a picture of the hanger bracket:

Old 03-31-19, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Here is a guide you might be able to use.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...lCjjnM1X9GgLnc

Old 03-31-19, 12:14 PM
I was able to get it fixed! I ended up shimming the low side and that did the trick. Only down side now is that the little gray plastic plate with the screw, doesn't line up with the screw hole. Not like anyone will see it anyway unless they are actually looking for it. I'll take that with a working non-auto-opening shower door!