Border thickness around replacement windows

Old 04-06-19, 03:22 PM
Border thickness around replacement windows

I am looking to do replacement windows. Looking around my neighborhood I notice that some replacement windows have very thick white border that is unsightly, especially when shutters and siding are dark colors. Others have replacement windows where the white border is pretty thin and does not look much different from original construction windows. Is there some kind of specification for this, say in inches, that I can impose on a contractor? Is this a function of the manufacturer or the installer? How can I make sure I don't get the ugly thick stuff?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-19, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
There is no real standard, other than the fact that older houses that were built say, pre 1960 had wide wood trim 4 or 4 1/2" wide whereas more modern houses were built when brickmould became common, and it is only 2" wide.

In addition, trim size is often about proportion. Skinny trim on a big house would look anemic.

In the end, you are paying the bill so ask him what the options are and tell him which you prefer.

Old 04-07-19, 06:03 AM
Got a picture of what you have now so we can see what your seeing.
I'm guessing you mean the frame size of the replacement window, not the outside trim?

Old 04-07-19, 01:11 PM
Thick border examples

Grabbed these off the 'net, don't want to post images of neighbors homes.
First is example of the thick border. Maybe this looks good in certain circumstances, but in my neighborhood homes that installed replacement windows with this thick border don't look good. The prominent white rectangle is the first thing you notice even from a block away. And it's even worse than the photo because they are not double windows, but singles. The second photo is similar to my existing, original, windows, and neighbors who have had replacement that resemble this look good, the shutters being the prominent feature.
I have raised this question with a contractor and they just say don't worry it will look good. I would rather educate myself about this and trust-but-verify.

Attached Images   
Old 04-07-19, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
The windows on the bottom don't have any trim at all other than the faux head piece which isn't even "real trim".

The bottom windows are new construction with a nail fin, and the siding comes right up to the window, with no trim at all. If the window ever needs to be removed/replaced the siding needs to be torn off or cut away from the window.

The windows on top are the older style I was talking about earlier. These windows are old enough that the sashes had counterweights and the space for these is on the sides and between the windows, making the trim wide. The fact that you think it looks "worse" is just your opinion, just like it's my opinion that the bottom picture looks anemic. The top picture is a traditional style window, a style of window that has been in use for over 100 years. The bottom picture has become more common in modern times when builders have tried to figure out how they can build houses faster, with less labor and make more profit. Eliminating window trim is one way.

Old 04-07-19, 04:40 PM
Thanks XSleeper.
I not saying that the first photo looks bad and second looks good. These are only photos I could find to explain my question. The houses in my neighborhood had original windows that looked like photo 2 in terms of trim width (although without the faux head and windows not so closely spaced). Some neighbors have had them replaced and you can't really tell without looking closely, they seemed to have maintained the original appearance. Others you can tell from a block away that they are replacement because they now have these dominant white rectangles, sometimes clashing with their siding & shutter color choices. None of them are old enough to have sashes and counterweights. I am also replacing siding so, yes siding will be removed. I'm really trying to avoid having something unsightly and the only way I can do this is by looking at neighbors and trying to imitate what looks good but seem to be having trouble quantifying it.