Advice on repairing old steel window panes

Old 04-06-19, 06:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on repairing old steel window panes

Hi

I live in a very old converted warehouse. We have several steel windows which were mortared in place (surrounded by glass blocks). Several of the panes are cracked (one has a large piece missing). Any idea on how to repair this? I'd like to replace several of the approximately 12x24" panes.

It seems to me that I can't remove the entire window to do so -- so I would have to do this from the interior (I'm on the third floor (about 30 feet up), ladder access is impossible. It looks like the window is held in place (mostly) by very old glazing putty. Any tips on where to find info about this (diagram or window style name)? Perhaps a source for these clips also?

This is a rental so I have no option of just replacing the windows.

Thanks

Name:  w1.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  112.6 KB

Name:  w2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  w3.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  130.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-06-19 at 08:53 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-19, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 133 Votes on 125 Posts
Pretty sure there should be a way to get those sashes out, but it's impossible to say without being there. I would assume that one side or the other, or possibly both, either the entire side track can be unscrewed... or one side or both have a removable filler that once pulled out, gives you room to get the sashes out. Your pictures are good but just aren't a substitute for being there. You could try posting more pics, but taking picture of windows is hard because it's so bright out, the windows just look black.

Try lowering both sashes all the way down and take a picture of the side jambs just above and including the tops of the windows.

Since this is a rental, this should be the landlords problem. Or are you the landlord?

Old 04-06-19, 06:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks XSleeper

I will try doing all of these things and rephotograph.

I'm not the landlord, but I've been in this space about 11 years (big loft, great space, affordable). General consensus from the landlord is that at some point she'd like to have all the windows replaced. I don't see this happening anytime soon and one particular window drives me crazy since its got a hole in it. Figured it would be relatively easy but I can't determine how to remove them.

Will try lowering the sashes. Great idea. Thank you.