Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Anderson Frenchwood Doors, pre-2005, adjustment

Old 05-18-19, 07:40 AM

I have two of these. One is fine. The other is difficult to latch; you almost need to force the handle up. It binds when the hook things go into the jamb.
The locking mechanism broke about 4 months ago and I replaced it. The new one is worse than the old one. (It was 10 years old, but rarely used until 2 years ago; now it is used maybe 10 times a day to let the dog in and out)

I noticed the gap by the bottom hinge was smaller than at the top or the latch side and figured that was the problem. I spent some time to get it just right, but it doesn't help. Is there any other way to loosen the latching mechanism up?

The gap at the top is slightly bigger on the hinge side than the latch side, but I don't think there is anything I can do about that without throwing the gaps on the side off. I guess the door isn't perfectly square by 1/16".

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-19, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
You should be able to do a lot just by shimming the hinges. You probably don't understand how best to shim the hinge to your advantage which is why you might not be getting the results you want. They sell premade hinge shims but I usually like to make my own shims out of aluminum trim coil. (Thin sheet)

You "can" shim the entire hinge, but you can also shim only HALF of the hinge and actually get better results. Imagine the door swings away from you and you are standing on the inside with the hinges on the left. By shimming the inside half of the top hinge, you roll the hinge pin to the left which will raise the door bottom of the door on the latch side slightly. To gain even more, you can do the opposite on the bottom hinge... shim the outer half of the hinge so that the inner screws are still tight on the wood but the shim is behind the outer screws. That rolls the bottom hinge pin to the right, which also lifts the door on the bottom latch side.

Doing a slight adjustment in this way is better than shimming the entire hinge out, or mortising an entire hinge deeper, and is better than trying to make one big adjustment to just one hinge.