Need window screen and ballast cable help

Old 06-07-19, 12:15 PM
Need window screen and ballast cable help

Murphy sez, "every good deed is appropriately punished."

Amen to that.

So I have a set of double windows in the kitchen. Double pane types in a side by side arrangement. The uppers of the windows are exposed all the time and are screenless. The lowers are covered with screens. The home is about 15 years old.

With pleasant weather here my wife wants to clean the screens and outside of the lower windows. How to get the screens out so she can reach the lower panes?

Therein begins my tale of woe.

I can't figure out how to pop the screens out. They are the mesh type in a lightweight aluminum frame, two pins at the top. It would appear the pins pull and the screens pull to the inside for removal, but that does not work.

And that leads to part 2 of my issues.

The very upper limit of the window tracks have a plastic cap on them, approximately 1-1/2 inch in length. Doofus here popped off the caps thinking it would allow the window to raise another small bit, and that wifey could then pull the screens.

Instead, the hooks holding the wire ballasts in place came loose, and now the window is always down - unless I prop it open with a broom handle. Thankfully, I only did this to one window.

Two questions:

1. How to identify how to remove the screens?

2. How to get the hooks reinserted in the hole at the top of the runs so the window stays up without being propped?

If pictures will help (which I suspect they always do) I'll get some done and post up this evening.

In the meanwhile, thanks in advance for advice or suggestions short of "just file for a divorce and forget it." Been with her too long to even consider adjusting to another one.

Best to all,

Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-19, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, pictures would help.

You need to raise your lower sash about 1 1/2" then tip it down perpendicular as if you were going to wash it. The you pull the black screen caps down and use them to pull the top edge of the screen in toward you then pull it out.

No idea what you did to the balances without seeing it.

Old 06-08-19, 04:31 AM
Peekchures.

Just a general shot of the window for perspective.

The screen pins. They pull down easily enough to release the screens, but the lips at the top and bottom don't allow removal.

Hole at the top of the run where the hooks connect.

Top of the hook showing. There is a cable attached to that hook. Some type of wound spring mechanism internal to the window frame itself (i.e. not in the casing) creates the tension that holds the window in position when raised. There is a cable on each side.

Whether the outside panes get cleaned or not, I need to get the hooks reset so the window operates properly. But the tension on the cable is tight enough that just grabbing them with a pair of needle-nosed pliers and maneuvering them into place does not seem to be an option.

Old 06-08-19, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
I think you need to raise the window as high as possible, then tip it down 90 degrees like you are going to clean the outside. You may need a 2nd person to hold the sash for you or a stick to keep it from falling. Then try to put the hook back in the hole.

Already told you how to get the screen out, so this should be all you need to know.

Old 06-08-19, 07:05 AM
Yes, roger that on the screens.

Reading your comments and looking at it again this morning I agree. Plus, the blinds will have to come down to ease access to the top of the runs.

I have to admit, Murphy has been a repeat instigator in my lifelong experience of how to start out ignorant and wise up quick on getting stuff done...