Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Good quality/looking storm door retractor/wind chain

Old 06-08-19, 03:58 AM

We're installing a beautiful solid maple storm door today. Bought a nice oil rubbed bronze Emtek lever handle. Now I'm considering some sort of retractor and wind chain. Are there any better quality retractors out there? Something doesn't feel right about going to home depot and putting a $20 retractor on a $1000+ storm door lol.

Now that I think about it, it might be nice not to have a retractor of any kind. I'll still need some some of wind chain/stop to keep the door from being ripped off the hinges when the wind gets bad though.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-19, 04:10 AM
Rule of thumb...If it has two pistons, then you should not need a wind safety chain. But if you have specific wind problems then by all means use one. Remember the safety chain get attached to the entrance door frame and then to the body of the storm door frame. Do not attach to the pistons or other hardware items on the door,

Old 06-08-19, 04:35 AM
interesting...kind of negates my forego the retractor (i'm assuming that's what you mean by piston) entirely thinking, but something to consider. It'd just be nice not to have to wrestle with a retractor everytime we open the door.

Old 06-08-19, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
There are 2 sizes of storm door closers. One is only about 1"in diameter, the others are about 1 3/8" -in diameter. I would suggest you get 2, mounted at the top and bottom. And get black ones if you can find them. If black doesn't suit you, spray them dark bronze.

And I would highly recommend a safety chain, especially since your door is expensive. I would be taking no chances with it. If a gust catches it just once it can ruin a door. I regularly buy safety chains because most doors don't come with them anymore. I will tuck the clip for the chain right in front of the closer so that the front closer pin goes through the chain. These also should be available in black.

Alternatively, you could just get a hydraulic door closer, such as a Ryobi doorman closer and mount it inside if your storm door is the only door or if you have a wide jamb and have the clearance for it between doors.

And then old fashioned screen doors used to just have spring hinges.

Old 06-08-19, 07:45 AM
I do like that hydraulic closer idea and it's ability to do timed closings.

I'm guessing that would not eliminate the need for the wind chain?

Old 06-08-19, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
An actual hydraulic closer limits the travel of the door so you would not need a safety chain, which would be totally wimpy by comparison. Sex bolts would be more secure than just screws.

Old 06-08-19, 09:43 AM
Xsleeper, your advice is except for one thing. Right from the manufacturer (Larson/Pella) safety springs must not be attached to any door closer items. Must attached to door proper.

Old 06-08-19, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think you understand what I mean... And installation varies on the door brand anyway... there are various types of safety chains and closer brackets, so it's not a blanket statement.

Last edited by XSleeper; 06-08-19 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-08-19, 10:28 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Closer-Alumin...00BYFBFT0?th=1 I think I'm going to get this one... just not sure the difference between "Hold open stop" and "Hold open with arm shoe" (other than a $170 difference)

Old 06-08-19, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
I think these are directions, there are multiple options.

http://www.doortechltd.ca/Product/LCN/4040XP.pdf

Old 06-08-19, 10:44 AM
Lol thank you, Ryobi doorman's don't seem to be available (at least directly to end consumers)

Old 06-08-19, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Fyi, there's a bronze one on ebay for $40. The LCN is a commercial closer. The Ryobi doorman works just fine for residential.

I think the arm shoe is a manual thumb turn lock on the arm.