Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

window leaking water into the wall, who to call

Old 07-14-19, 04:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I live in a 2 story townhome in south florida and since I have lived here, there was a small covered up hole below an upstairs window that I never paid attention too. a few yrs ago, I decided to open the hole to look inside and noticed a million ants because water was getting into the wall. I initially had a glass company come out and he just applied caulking to the inside edges of the window frame and all the bolts but noticed that only when it rains extremely hard, the concrete inside the wall is wet.

Now I am trying to sell the home and want to fix the leak but who do I call to actually diagnosis and fix it? When I call window companies, they either want to sell me a complete window or just come out and tell me the possible causes. Noone actually wants to diagnosis it.

the last company that came out said the outside caulking around the window looks fine. he said he could remove the caulking and redo it but that may not be it. a different company said to remove the complete frame and reseal everything.

who actually diagnosis these kinds of leaks. I don't want to pay for guessing. I don't mind paying someone to actually diagnosis and then correct the leak.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-19, 04:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Is there an overhang above the window? a pic showing that exterior side of the house could be helpful.
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

Old 07-14-19, 04:29 AM
this is the window from the outside.

Attached Images  
Old 07-14-19, 04:32 AM
here us what the inside of the wall looks like after it rains hard. the only stain I see on the inside is at the lower corner.

Attached Images   
Old 07-14-19, 05:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Have you ruled out a roof leak?

Old 07-14-19, 06:31 AM
I don't think its the roof. I figured I should have some evidence up higher on the wall or on the celing if the roof was leaking. in the picture I posted the only stain I have is right there at the lower corner of the window. not saying it isn't the roof, but nothing indicates it is.

Old 07-14-19, 09:48 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
The window shown in post #4 does not contain a bottom horizontal window frame member. It should be resting on top of the 2x4 shown. It appears the area is filled with plaster or cement. Am I interpreting the picture correctly?

Old 07-14-19, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Can't tell anything from any of the photos because there are no pictures of the outside of the window that show a possible leak. And yes, its very possible the leak could be coming from the roof above... hard telling without standing in front of the window on the roof outside to look at it. My first suspicion would be the exterior sill of the window, which looks like a ledge. Is it sealed and sloped away from the window or does the outside edge of the window or the ends of that sill need to be caulked to the stucco?

If you want detective work, call a home inspector to find the source of the leak. Once you know the source you will have a better idea of who to call to fix it. Otherwise you're just guessing.

Old 07-15-19, 03:01 AM
the picture in post 4 is from the inside. the cement is under the window ledge.

Old 07-16-19, 04:29 AM
I would start by having a carpenter install a wooden frame from the inside for the window in question. Next thing is to determine the window is properly flashed and anchored to the frame. This could require some destruction on the outside. Its your call as there is a cost/benefit issue here. Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-19, 05:12 PM
the house is 20 yrs old, I would find it hard to believe all of that is wrong from 20 yrs ago. I figure if it was, issue should of shown up right away

Old 07-16-19, 05:23 PM
let me ask anyone who knows. I paid a glass company to redo the caulking around the window as I wanted to start with the simplest of the issues. found out when I got home today that all they did was run a new bead over the 20 yr old bead with white smooth polyurethane. is this normal for windows companies to do? I was under the impression they would remove all the old caulk and redo it. if I would of known that is all they were gonna do, I would of done that myself.

Old 07-16-19, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
We have no outside pics to see what it looked like before. So we really can't say, yes they should have removed the old caulking... or no... that bead of caulk was okay to caulk over because it was so small.

The biggest problem I usually see on windows is too small of a bead, that cracks in the corner. In those cases, yes it's usually okay to caulk right over it. But we don't know what it looked like.

Old 07-16-19, 06:51 PM
If the glass panes in the window slide in tracks, is the bottom track configured to drain rain water toward the sill?