2002 vintage wooden windows - peeling paint

Old 08-11-19, 06:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2002 vintage wooden windows - peeling paint

I ahve been working around the home trying to fix obvious problems (couple of spot where there as some dry rot (facia boards ad brick molding around windows).

When I was getting up close to the windows I noticed that are spots the paint has peeled up exposing the bare wood. This is occurring at the bottom of both sashes where the glass meets the wood. So far no obvious rot but don't want to leave it that way.
What are the correct steps to protect the wood.
1. scrap off ant loos paint?
2. tape off and repaint?

Sant special tips? Should I give it a dose of wood preservative first?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-19, 08:51 PM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Don't forget to use a good primer to touch up the bare wood!

Old 08-12-19, 02:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
After removing the loose paint an exterior oil base wood primer would be best as it will seal and bond to the wood better than latex primer. Finish with 1-2 coats of exterior latex house paint. Any sheen will work but IMO satin or semi-gloss looks best.

Old 08-12-19, 05:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 154 Posts
I don't bother taping windows. I scrape all the loose old paint off. Blow it off to remove any dust and dirt. Prime with an oil based primer then top coat with exterior latex. Then I come back with a single edge razor blade and scrape the paint off the glass. I try to leave a thin strip of paint on the glass to help seal the edge and prevent water from getting to the wood.

Old 08-12-19, 05:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
Some windows also need the glazing repaired to prevent water from seeping down the glass edges which ruins the paint job prematurely, and eventually will rot the sash if it's not cared for.

Old 08-12-19, 03:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks everyone. oil based primer top coated with latex. The top coat is a offwhite latex.

These are double paned windows. During the summer there is alot of condensation on the outside of the windows. I wonder if this is the reason for the paint peeling.

Pilot Dane: It seems that it would be difficult to seal where the glass meets the wood. Your comment on leaving a little paint on the window is probably a good one but wonder how difficult that is to do. I have a couple of other project queued up but might get to try this weekend.

Old 08-13-19, 04:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
The smoother and glossier the finish is the easier it is for rain to run off the window. Keeping it well painted is the main defense against condensation.