Sliding aluminum screen door won't fit

Old 08-15-19, 01:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sliding aluminum screen door won't fit

Hi All
We had a slider installed a couple of years ago but never got around to installing the screen door that came with it. So we tried yesterday and it doesn't fit - it's too tall for the opening by about 2-3mm. Looking for best advice as to how to trim or whatever to get it to right size. We could try pulling the screen door apart and cutting at the corners on 45 degrees but then we'd have to re-size the screen itself or we could try to cut either the top or bottom rails (maybe just the inside rail?) to get it in.
As mentioned it's aluminum.Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-19, 01:32 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Most of these doors lift up into the top channel, then drop into place. The upper channel in most standard doors have a deeper top channel then is necessary.

Pictures always help if that doesn't work

Old 08-15-19, 03:45 PM
Hi NM
Thanks - yes we tried that as per instructions but screendoor is still too tall. I'll try to get some pics to be clearer.

Old 08-15-19, 03:52 PM
Received 41 Votes on 41 Posts
There should be two or four adjusting screws that will lower the wheels or slides that will allow the screen to lifted up and into the channels. Depending on the make and model those adjusting screws might be on the inner edge. You retract the screws all the way, fit screen into the channel, then start adjusting the top and bottom screws until you get a smooth gliding without binding. I'll nearly guarantee the door is not too big.

Old 08-15-19, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 137 Votes on 129 Posts
If that's the door that came with it, it will fit.

Old 08-15-19, 05:33 PM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
like Norm said, retract the screws all the way, then insert the screen and tighten... i thought mine didn't fit either, but the store manager told me the trick.

Old 08-16-19, 05:01 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
That's less than an 1/8". If your trying to install it in the center of the door, the header may be sagging a bit. Try installing it at either end.

Old 08-16-19, 10:24 AM
Thanks all for the responses.

Will try the screws again (I should've mentioned we did this at the start - sorry) but it does appear the frame itself is too big . Will also try installing at the end rather than center.

Hope it works - thanks again everyone, really appreciate the advice.

Old 08-17-19, 11:16 AM
I tried adjusting the screws by retracting all the way out and no joy still. I also tried installing at either end of the slider with no success. It really seems the screen door is about 2mm too big for the space. The photos I took didn't capture the difference. So not sure what to do now.
thanks!

Old 08-17-19, 01:19 PM
Can you provide brand and model of door?

Old 08-17-19, 01:32 PM
Hi Norm201
it's a Milgard Aluminum 450 series

Old 08-17-19, 01:44 PM
Not to make you sound stupid, but did you follow these instructions to the TEE?

I would call the manufacture and explain to them that the wrong screen was provided. And that you had no need until now to install it. Provide a purchase receipt if possible. You should have some type of warranty.

Old 08-17-19, 01:48 PM
Old 08-17-19, 02:54 PM
Hi Norm201
Yes we have those instructions and tried to follow but step 2 is the problem. While we can get the top part into the track and pushed up as far as it will go, the screen is too big to allow the bottom to slide in. I will try with the distributor as when we bought the original slider it had to be replaced multiple times due to damages from the factory.
Appreciate all your assistance.

Old 08-17-19, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 137 Votes on 129 Posts
Occasionally you have to slip a thin putty knife (like a drywall knife) under each bottom wheel... one at a time... while lifting the door as high as it will go.... then once the wheel is centered over the bottom track, pull the putty knife out... in order to get the wheels over the bottom track.

The adjusting screws are also counterintuitive... turning them the wrong way makes it harder/impossible to get the door in. So make sure, especially on top, that you are turning the screw the right direction to LOWER the top glides. Take the door off and actually look at what turning those screws does to the glide so that you understand it's operation.

Same on the bottom... don't adjust those bottom wheels (don't raise them) until the door is on the track.

Old 08-18-19, 10:26 AM
Thanks XSleeper. Yep we've tried those suggestions but no joy.
I've reached out to the manufacturer but the warranty excludes screen after a year....will see what they say. Going to ask our installer next.
Cheers!