Pella sliding patio Door vent left

Old 08-19-19, 07:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pella sliding patio Door vent left

We had a 20 year old pella sliding glass patio door but due to water damage from the front glass glazing, it rotted out. We got a replacement Pella which was "vent left". The guy in the store said ordering was very confusing and to look at the door from the outside and if the left door slides opens to the right, it is vent left. We ordered this and got a slider that opened on the right and slid open to the left from the outside. So from the outside, the right side was the open side. I went back after and he then said we wanted vent right. Additionally, we ordered early american stain which looks way darker than it is supposed to look, more like walnut. I get that it is on pine and the rest of our house (red oak wood floors) with early american, is so much lighter. The installer had to come back again and we had to put off the siding for a month. Pella offered us all our money back or what was a nominal amount for this blunder ($500. on a $3800. door).
My questions are: What does vent left mean? ( the guy in the store says he ordered correctly)
Should early american stain be a real lot darker on the door vs our red oak?

They kept putting off delivery of the screen which we are still waiting on. First one was much lighter, like we wanted, the second one was damaged and waiting on a 3rd one.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-19, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 158 Posts
Vent left means from the outside, the door on the left is the one that opens.

if your right door opens, that's a vent right. (As viewed from outside).

(not real hard, so don't know what the problem is there, unless he is a rookie. Everything Pella does is handed as viewed from the outside. Always has been.)

As for your stain color, the only way to have it match your existing trim exactly is to order it unfinished pine and hire a painter to come do a stain match on it. Ordering it prefinished from Pella is probably a mistake (i.e. bad decision) on your part.

Here are Pella's standard colors.

https://www.pella.com/features-optio...es-and-colors/

(click on "view all options")