Door size 82" x 25" rough opening

Old 08-27-19, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Door size 82" x 25" rough opening

I'm pretty handy but I'm never done this. Have a rough opening of 82" x 25" to a closet.

I want a solid door and thought getting a used one would be cheapest way for me. I don't know what size door to get.

If door is exactly 25" wide, what about hinge space?

I plan on installing touch latch so therefore, no door knob in the way.

Would finding a 26" wide door and then cutting it down be best/easiest? I plan on filling in the door knob hole with some sort of wood filler and then painting. I also need to make a groove for the hinges in the rough opening 2x4..

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-19, 11:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
You'd probably want a 24" door so you'd have room to add the jamb.

Old 08-27-19, 03:27 PM
does it 'have' to have a jamb? can't I use the 2x4 stud?

here is a link to Lowe's door casing kit, is this what I need to purchase? Price isn't over the top. https://www.lowes.com/pd/EverTrue-36...Kit/1000445509

Plan on buying a used door at Habitat for Humanity. Thank You.

Old 08-27-19, 04:22 PM
Received 58 Votes on 53 Posts
Can you hang a door without a jamb? Sure, but sort of like having dinner with no fork, it's more work, messy, and not going to be pretty when you're done. Studs are rough framing, typically not as straight and square as you want for a good fitting door, so you shim the jamb to make everything fit properly. Without the jamb you're just as apt as not going to have to shim each of the hinges separately. And when you get done you have something that looks like a door hanging on a couple of hinges in a 2x4 frame, no good or at least easy way to trim it. If the studs are a little out of plumb, you can adjust your jamb in or out a little bit and sort of split the difference, but without the jamb you end up with a gap top or bottom or a maybe a door that doesn't work properly. You can buy "slabs" which are just doors, made to go into an existing jamb, and even that can cause extra work on the front end, but hanging a slab in rough framing is a lot more work and, again, not something that you'll be happy with when you're done. If you think that the jamb is going to restrict access too much, maybe you want to consider trimming it out as just open shelves or whatever.

Old 08-27-19, 05:47 PM
nope, needs a door. will put in a jamb. makes sence to do it that way, thanks. will get a 24" used door and again, is this what I should purchase as a jamb:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EverTrue-36...it/1000445509? It's 36" wide, I'll have to trim it shorter.

Old 08-27-19, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 196 Votes on 182 Posts
No, that is brickmold which is the trim you use on the outside of an exterior door.

type in "door jamb" into your search. You need 2 @ 81" and 1 @ 25". You also need door stop if your jambs do not come with it. If this is an interior door you would need interior trim for both sides of your door.

I would probably suggest you buy a 24" prehung door instead (comes hung on the jamb with hinges) and just change the framing to make it fit. Much simpler. But they do usually come prebored for a knob.

Old 08-27-19, 06:59 PM
half assed backwards : ). Thank you. Will go to Lowe's and get prehung. Life is simiple.

Old 08-27-19, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 196 Votes on 182 Posts
In that case you will just want to buy a pack of cedar shims and some interior casing to trIm it out.

Old 08-28-19, 04:45 AM
Thanks, will get a friend to help.