How to insulate a patio door?

Old 09-17-19, 09:34 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to insulate a patio door?

Hey everyone, this might be a really stupid question but where do I add the insulation/weatherstrip on this patio door? The track doesn't have handles on the side so I'm not sure about the best place to add it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Images  
Old 09-17-19, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The weatherstripping on aluminum doors is a pile weatherstripping that fits into a t-slot, and you will find it in 3 main places:

In the jamb that the door pushes into when it closes, and across the top of the door jamb that the door slides across as it operates.
At the meeting rail where the 2 doors interlock.
Inside the bottom rails of the operating panel. (You need to remove the door from the track in order to see these locations).

I don't know that you will be successful trying to add any type of weatherstripping other than the exact type and size of pile weatherstripping that it had originally. To replace it, you need to know two things... the backing width (this is the part that fits into the t-slot) and the pile (or brush) height.

Old 09-19-19, 08:44 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ah ok, thank you for the advice! I don't think I can remove the track so I might need to think of some other way to insulate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: