Wood under window changing colors?

Old 09-20-19, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood under window changing colors?

Hello,
Under our main window in living room, we have wood that has started to change colors.
I am not sure what is causing this. My thought was that maybe water has started to get in but i am unable to find where it could be coming in. I applied sealer 2 years on exterior side of the window so i would think its not the sealer.

I am going to post some pictures here. Let me know your thoughts and best way to address the issue. I could repaint the wood, but i want to resolve the issue first causing the wood to change color.

Thank you for your help.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-19, 05:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 106 Posts
Assuming the rest of your flooring is light [not faded at the window] I also would suspect moisture. Could you post a pic or two of the outside?

Old 09-20-19, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 189 Votes on 178 Posts
I assume the light color is the original color, and not the other way around? If so, yes, you have water getting sucked in through the plywood edges, or running down the mullion, or leaking out concealed screw holes where the seat has been attached to the bottoms the frames.

This isn't necessarily from rain, it can be condensation from a difference in temperature or even from air infiltration. Not much you can do about it I don't think, it probably indicates a poorly built/designed window. One option is to pursue your warranty with the window mfg, as this should be a defect in workmanship with the window itself, (not the installation) since those bow units usually come as one giant preassembled unit with the head and seat and exterior head and seat flashing from the factory. That's about the best I can tell you. I've installed similar windows for almost 30 yrs.