Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

prehung entry door in single wall post and beam home

Old 10-03-19, 06:44 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

aloha everyone,

i live in a post and beam single wall constructed home in hawaii. this style of construction was very common in the fifties through the seventies. basically the walls are typically 3/4" to 1" thick redwood t&g fastened to sill plates on the bottom and fastened to the beam on the top.

So the T&G board face is the exterior surface of the wall and the other side of the T&G is the inside surface. Electrical and plumbing are surface mounted.

window and door frames are 3 1/2" to match post and beam width and are rabbited, set in the rough opening and then stopped from the inside effectively sandwiching the single wall to the frame.

i intend to use a prehung entry door and i was going to glue and screw brickmold on the outside of the jamb to create a rabbited type of jamb similar to a single wall jamb. on the inside i was going to use another brickmold (for the thickness ) as a stop.

i would love to get some feedback and ideas from everyone on if i am on the right track. so lay it on me. thanks in advance.

Old 10-03-19, 07:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
Not sure what's available in Hawaii, but most stock prehung exterior doors will have a jamb that is 4 9/16" wide. So if your wall is a total of 3 1/2" thick, you would need a 1" filler behind your exterior brickmold (If you want it to be flush on the inside.) Or if you want to center the door in the wall, put a 1/2" filler on each side. You could add that to the back of the trim before you put it on.

Old 10-03-19, 03:49 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks xsleeper for your reply. i guess i wasnt real clear in describing the problem.

yes the prehung jamb is 4 9/16" but the wall is 7/8" thick.. i cant flush the back of prehung to inside of wall because it would be proud of outside of wall by 3 3/4" about.

if i flush the front of prehung jam then the back will stick out from the inside of wall.

i was thinking of flushing the front edge of prehund jamb to outside front of wall, then adding a fill pc from inside of wall to end of jamb. casing would cover the joint on both sides of wall.

the option is to mill a 1 1/2" x 4 9/16" frame and hang prehung in the frame. basically i would end up with a 2 1/4" jamb.

hope this is a better concept of what im trying to do.

option two is to make a 2x jamb and lose the prehung jamb and just hang door in frame.

any ideas. thanks again

Old 10-03-19, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
Yeah, things must be quite different there. I think I'm picturing a solid insulated exterior door with a sill. You probably don't need much more than a screen door down there. LOL

You say you have a bottom plate on bottom, and a beam on top. Your redwood is fastened to the outside of that. So what would it be like if you fastened a 1x4 to the bottom plate and beam on the INSIDE? Then put a 2x4 sideways between them? That would be about right for a standard door jamb.

Otherwise, yeah just make your own jamb out of solid wood. You probably don't want to use jamb stock for this because they are usually particle board or crappy veneered plywood or veneered fiber. When you rip those or go to mortise them you won't be pleased. Use solid wood and mortise the hinges yourself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: