Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Is Great Stuff Windows & Doors suitable for filling a large gap around a door?

Old 10-07-19, 07:24 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Just posted about the door install yesterday- to sum it up, I have a 70 year old house, door frame was actually built into the wall framing so after removal I had a larger-than-standard opening. Was able to get a new prehung door installed but I have large gaps between the new door frame and existing wall framing in several spots (as much as 3/4" in some places).

I had bought a can of Great Stuff "Windows & Doors" to fill the gaps around the door, which I did last night to seal up the openings. However I didn't really know the difference between that and regular Great Stuff, and I see the Windows & Doors foam is much softer and more pliable.

Will this be suitable as a long-term solution for this door, or should I pull out what I can and use the Great Stuff Gaps & Cracks instead?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-19, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
Yes. 3/4" is not considered a large gap. You may just need another can if you have a lot to do. Hopefully you have shimmed and secured the jamb with long screws. You don't just hang a door by using the brickmold or door foam only. The screws and shims are what prevent the door jamb from moving... not the foam.

Old 10-07-19, 07:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
I think windows and doors is the better one to use. It doesn't expand with as much force so it doesn't try to push your door molding out of place. Gaps & cracks foam expands more but it can exert a lot of pressure as it expands which can squeeze door and window frames causing things to bind.

Old 10-07-19, 08:47 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You mean the foam doesn't hold the door in place???

Yes I used 4" deck screws around the perimeter of the door, going through or near shims where I could, and through the empty hinge holes. Probably going to put a couple more in it before I call it done.

Anyway, OK that is a good point. I've only used Great Stuff a few times on other jobs so I didn't know it could cause binding in a door. I still need to apply some more sealant to a couple areas but I think it should be good like it is.