metal french doors cold

Old 10-08-19, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
metal french doors cold

Hello,

I just paid a company to install new outside french doors to be able to go to my backyard.
The doors looks good and nice, but something looks strange to me about the quality of the door insulation :

When I touch the white part of the door, the part around the glass (sorry i don't know how to call it, I added a picture with the red arrow to help), it feels very cold even if it is only 57F outside. I know that metal doors conduct cold easily but I am wondering if this is normal ? And what will happen when the outside temperature will go down to -5F this winter ? Is it a sign of bad quality ? I can't know the brand as it is written nowhere.

Thank you for your help,

Alex

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-19, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
Doors with glass are cold because the glass has very little insulation value eve though it is a double pane, low-e thermopane. The glass is still only equal to about R-3. And yes, even insulated metal doors will still be cool to the touch.

The doors look nice, and I'm sure they are just as good as any other metal door there is. My advice would be to take your hand off the door and enjoy how nice they look.

Old 10-09-19, 02:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Normally there is either a wood stile or if all steel, a slight gap between the outside and inside portion of the steel. That helps slow down the temperature transfer from one side to the other. As X said, windows and doors will never stop cold as well as an insulated wall. Just enjoy the convenience of having a door where you want/need it. I suspect it's not as bad as you are concerned it will be.

Old 10-09-19, 04:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 198 Votes on 183 Posts
Doors are not known for their insulation. Even worse, the area you point to is a seam and a structural part where there is no room for insulation. It's just the nature of the beast. At most I would look closely at the seam for daylight or air leaks that could indicate that the weatherstripping is not doing it's job.

Old 10-09-19, 01:55 PM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
The company who installed the doors should be able to provide you with the brand name, or it may be located inside the jam on one side.

Glass has a CR rating (condensation resistance) but I'm unaware of a similar rating for the actual metal. In any case obtaining the mfgs specifications could provide some insight as to how those doors will perform in the winter.

Your profile does not include a nearby big city so we do not know what your climate is.

If you review CR for windows it will explain how to reduce the chance of condensation during cold weather. They specify the maximum inside humidity levels.

Bud

Old 10-09-19, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Normally the voids under the metal are filled with styrofoam. Obviouosly there will be wood instead at the locksets and anywhere else additional structure is needed.

Old 10-09-19, 08:21 PM
Thank you for the help,

I am living near New York City in NY state, so in winter it can get pretty cold. I checked the doors and I found the plate in the picture (didnt know there is one before)

I ma trying to find on internet the meaning but I am little bit lost here...

Best

Alex

Attached Images  
Old 10-10-19, 09:31 AM
Actually, I think I found the information :
The brand is provia, and it is considered as Energy Star. So looks like I am all good :-)

Thank you againfor your replies.

Alex

-----------Energy PerformanceU-Factor (U.S/I-P):0.26Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC):0.13Visible Transmittance:0.22Air Infiltration:0.04 cfm/ft²Description 1:ENERGY STAR:All RegionsCPD:PRD-K-42-10185-00001