Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

So what do you do when you put up trim on a door when the wall isn't straight?

Old 10-11-19, 07:44 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm still working on finishing out my door install. As I stated in the other post, when I placed the wall in the opening I found out the wall framing is apparently not square. I set the door in the frame, fortunately the concrete sill was level so the door sat right in and I checked it with the level before, during and after install and it looks good.

Well, I thought maybe the brick opening was square but apparently, not quite. Looks to be square on the left side of the door (from the outside) but not on the right side. Due to the placement of the door, the trim has to go inside the brick opening, and when I place the trim against the brick at the bottom of the door frame it is flush with the inside of the frame, but at the top it is off to the outside by 1/4" or so. What's my best option here?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-19, 12:20 PM
B
Received 81 Votes on 72 Posts
A picture of the problem area would be helpful.

Old 10-11-19, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
You scribe the outside of the trim to fit the crooked side of the wall.

If you are putting brickmold on the outside of a door, you want there to be a 1/2 step or "reveal" around the inside perimeter of your door frame. So let's say you have a 36" door. If you measure between the jambs on the outside of the door, it's going to be 35". When you put the brickmold on, the sides should be 36" apart... because of that 1/2" reveal on the sides. Same on top, the top brick mold should have a 1/2" step up above the inside edge of the jamb. You keep that 1/2" reveal the same all around by trimming the outside edge of the brickmold as needed.

The reason you do it this way is so that the trim is just as plumb as the door is, with the idea that someday someone may want to put a 36" storm door on there.

Old 10-12-19, 05:14 AM
B
Received 81 Votes on 72 Posts
XSleeper's suggestion is good if the vertical door trim is hitting an adjacent wall before the 1/2 inch reveal is reached. What do you do if the gap (bottom or top) is between the back of the door trim and the wall containing the door or the door jamb? The door jam is plumb but the brick wall is not.

Old 10-12-19, 06:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
......l.lll
(Previous thread)

Moderator's note: It often helps to keep questions related to the same project in the same thread so that others can understand the background of the question.

Last edited by XSleeper; 10-12-19 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Found previous thread
Old 10-13-19, 03:23 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi,
You stated the trim at the bottom of the door is against the brick and the other side of the trim is flush with the inside of the door jamb. tack the trim on the door jamb tight at the bottom and plumb. take a 1/2 inch of plywood and hold against the brick wall and scribe a line on the door jamb using the
1/2 wood as your guide. Looking at the line you should cut off a 1/2 inch on the bottom and less at the top. When you cut the trim leave the line on the trim. This should leave you with a half inch reveal. You can use any thing a 1/2 thick to draw the line. You could also use a compass but I never had much luck with that.
Good luck Woodbutcher

Old 10-14-19, 06:27 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So I put the trim up last night. Turns out it was not off quite as bad as I thought, when I was holding up the trim before it was too long- as I stated in my door install thread, this door was recessed into the brick about 3", so I could not use the brickmold trim on the outside as you might normally do, and the inside of the opening was smaller than the assembled outside dimensions of the trim (about 35.5" wide x 82.5" tall)

I ended up cutting the length down about 3/4" on the side pieces and about 1/8" on the top piece. I could not get the 1/2" reveal without ripping the trim and I don't have any way to do that anyway (I only have a circular saw). So, as it ended up, the left side trim has about 1/4" reveal, the top was flush with the inside of the frame. The right side of the frame, with the aforementioned slightly-off-plumb wall, ended up with about 1/8" reveal on the bottom and 1/4" reveal on the top. Honestly I think it looks alright. I guess if someone wants to install a storm door they will have to redo the trim.