Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

How to install elipse(half moon) window over door

How to install elipse(half moon) window over door

Old 06-02-01, 08:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Please help, We are going to install a new front door with side lights and half moon or elipse window over door. How do we make a frame to install the half moon window? and also finish the inside wall after installation? We know we have to cut but how do we make a frame for this. Any help appreciated. Thanks Bedhelia

Old 06-03-01, 04:10 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Do you have room above the door for the half circle window AND the header?? If you have 8' ceilings, YOU CAN'T DO IT!!

Old 06-04-01, 08:10 PM
zalyx1
Visiting Guest
Wink

I just did a half moon over a window in my house. If you don't have 8' ceilings you may want to try this. ( I am not a professional so I don't know if this is the best way )
First I installed window. Then I cut a piece of 1/2 plywood the same width as the framing (I assume it's 2x6) and to the length of the circumference of the window radius. Set your saw to cut a little more than half the thickness of the plywood. Cut grooves every 4-6 inches, depending on how much arc you need, across the width all the way down the length of the plywood. This should allow you to arc the plywood to match the window. Hold plywood up to window to verify fit. Mark location on wall tracing top and bottom of arc remebering to allow space for drywall between wood and window frame. After this I cut small blocks and nailed them to wall from outside placing them above traceline as backing to attach plywood on.
As far as finishing goes, I plan to wet the drywall and bend to appropriate arc and camp it to framework then let it dry thouroughly. Paint on some Kilz to protect from mold and mildew and install. Use drywall mud to finalize contour.
Don't know if this is best framing for over a door because of repeated slamming , but it worked on above a window.
I have also heard of using metal studs instead of plywood with wood inside for support.
Might want to get a professional opinion but I think this might help ! Good Luck !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: