Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Replacing entry door (w/ sidelights) with door & no sidelights

Old 10-14-19, 09:53 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I want to replace my entry door with 2 sidelights with a pre-hung door without sidelights.
I don't need the sidelights for more privacy and the replacement door already has a
glass window in the middle. This will leave a 12" gap on each side previously occupied
by the sidelights. What is the best way to tackle this project without sacrificing stability?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-19, 10:36 PM
Received 193 Votes on 180 Posts
You would frame in the sides and then try to cover it with whatever material is used on the exterior to finish it up.

Depending on what exterior material you have it may look like a patch job, might be easier to just keep the side lights!

Old 10-15-19, 04:29 AM
M
Received 94 Votes on 89 Posts
Frame it in the same as if it was a new construction install.
So double 2X4's on both sides attached to the header and footer.
I would also put a couple horizontal braces from the 2X4's back to the old door studs on each side.
Better to over build here.
I am not a fan of banging away on old construction so I would use decking screws to old is all together.
Also take note of where you will want to run screws through the new door frame so that you do not hit screws in your new studs. As an example many doors run one long screw through the hinges to the studs so you would not want a brace right there.

Matching it to the house so it looks good will be a challenge and you want to decide on that before starting as it may have a bearing on how the door is installed.

If matching is a pain then go for contrast so the unit looks like a framed in unit.
Could be wood, brick/ fake stone, fake shutters etc.