Install glassblock window in wood frame

Old 10-30-19, 12:20 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Install glassblock window in wood frame

Hello

We are replacing a window in our first floor laundry with a preassembled glass block window.
All the instructions included and various youtube videos give a thorough walk through of the process I can follow for framing and installing it however one part remains unclear.

When installing the block window in a wood frame it states to use silicone rather than mortar to seal it to the house but I am unsure if standard 100% silicone with suffice or it I need to use one of those silicones branded specifically to bond glass block windows. Ones like REDI2BOND Glass Block Silicone.

And if that is so is there one members in here have used that they would recommend.

Old 10-31-19, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 945 Votes on 863 Posts
Personally I would probably suggest you use Vulkem 116 instead. The silicones sold at box stores are not always the best quality and silicone doesn't always stick to vinyl very well as the years go by.

The best silicone to use if you want to follow their directions to a T, is Dow Corning 795. You can buy it online and it's far superior to what you get at the big box.

Old 10-31-19, 02:10 PM
M
I am not sure if it matters but the window is going to be adhered to a pressure treated wood frame. There is no vinyl that it would come into contact with.

Old 10-31-19, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
What's the fin and frame made out of, aluminum?

Old 10-31-19, 02:42 PM
M
There is no nailing fin or added on frame. its a window comprised of glass blocks bonded together
https://www.menards.com/main/doors-w...63-c-13302.htm

Old 10-31-19, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
If you click on product details, it says:

Special Features:
Frame, Hopper Vent, Built-In Nailing Flange

Guess you will find out what it's made of when you get it.

Old 10-31-19, 03:22 PM
M
Sorry, I am not seeing that.
On the menards page under features it reads: Non-framed design is ready for mortar-in-place installation

And i went to the manufacturers' site and watched both the video and read the install instructions and neither made any reference to a flange.
IPS | GLASS BLOCK WINDOWS | INSTALLATIONS

So from as far as I can tell by that and the few photos online it looks like just the blocks and vent already bonded together and made to slip into the bare window frame. Its one of the reasons I am curious about the silicone type since curing is going to be a factor now that colder temps are upon us.

Old 10-31-19, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
It is under the heading SPECIFICATIONS.

https://www.menards.com/main/doors-w...63-c-13302.htm

Temperature does not affect any caulk that isn't latex. Silicone is not latex. So your worries are unfounded.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: