Help identifying door manufacturer

Old 11-15-19, 05:12 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help identifying door manufacturer

I searched several hinge location charts available online and could not find one that matched my door that I need to replace to match other doors. Here are the details.

- Solid core wood grain pattern
- door size 28 x 80"
- 6 raised panels
- slab thickness 1-3/8"
- 3 hinges, 3-1/2" each
- Top of door to top of first hinge - 7", 2nd 36-3/16", 3rd 65-7/16"
- This is an interior door

House is in Chicago area, built in 1987. There is a big "S" on each hinge. No label was found behind the middle hinge on either side as someone suggested.

Can someone please help identify manufacturer?
Thank you

Old 11-16-19, 05:14 AM
R
I posted a few pictures. I could not edit the original post.

Name:  IMG_6192 hinge marking MJ.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6194 resized small.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  30.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6204 entire door.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  28.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6205 panel detail.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6206 door stop detail.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  23.3 KB

Old 11-16-19, 05:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
The S reminds me of the Stanley S but that doesn't mean they are Stanley doors. I don't think they make interior doors anymore. It looks like a pressed mdf texture door. Mastercraft (Menards) used to sell nice doors like that back when I started in carpentry but I think almost all their stuff comes on a boat from China and the lots change slightly every few years so there is no matching anything from China, it's all one off.

The S could also be Simpson door company but I know nothing about them. Their infinity line with inlaid sticking looks pretty close.

This might be the closest you will find.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/JELD-WEN...1026/202036884

I doubt you will be able to match it exactly. If you are just replacing a slab, getting the doors unmachined will allow you to match the mortises. You didn't say if you need the slab or the entire prehung.

Old 11-16-19, 07:28 AM
R
Thank you for your reply XSleeper. I am trying to replace a bi-fold door on a bathroom with an entire prehung unit like an existing door on another room. I guess I can use a Jeld-Wen prehung from Home Depot. None of the doors I looked at have the nice sticking/edging on the doorstop like in the picture. Stock doors have what looks like a furring strip for a door stop. I will take a look at the links you provided.

One of the existing doors has what looks like a stylized MJ on the hinges (like in one pic). Does that mean anything?

Old 11-16-19, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
MJ doesn't ring a bell. You can always replace the door stop with something nicer.

Old 11-24-19, 06:43 AM
R
Update:

I looked at the top of the doors I currently have and could make out the word "COLONIST". It was hard to read under a layer of primer. Problem solved! Thank you XSleeper for your suggestions. The ready-to-go Jeld-wen at Home Depot looks like the one, except for the stop. I might replace the stock bull nose stop with colonial. I was more concerned about matching the bead and cove sticking and they haven't changed that in 32 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: