Help identifying door manufacturer

Old 11-15-19, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help identifying door manufacturer

I searched several hinge location charts available online and could not find one that matched my door that I need to replace to match other doors. Here are the details.

- Solid core wood grain pattern
- door size 28 x 80"
- 6 raised panels
- slab thickness 1-3/8"
- 3 hinges, 3-1/2" each
- Top of door to top of first hinge - 7", 2nd 36-3/16", 3rd 65-7/16"
- This is an interior door

House is in Chicago area, built in 1987. There is a big "S" on each hinge. No label was found behind the middle hinge on either side as someone suggested.

Can someone please help identify manufacturer?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-19, 06:14 AM
I posted a few pictures. I could not edit the original post.

Name:  IMG_6192 hinge marking MJ.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6194 resized small.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  30.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6204 entire door.jpg
Size:  28.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6205 panel detail.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6206 door stop detail.jpg
Size:  23.3 KB

Old 11-16-19, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 244 Votes on 225 Posts
The S reminds me of the Stanley S but that doesn't mean they are Stanley doors. I don't think they make interior doors anymore. It looks like a pressed mdf texture door. Mastercraft (Menards) used to sell nice doors like that back when I started in carpentry but I think almost all their stuff comes on a boat from China and the lots change slightly every few years so there is no matching anything from China, it's all one off.

The S could also be Simpson door company but I know nothing about them. Their infinity line with inlaid sticking looks pretty close.

This might be the closest you will find.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/JELD-WEN...1026/202036884

I doubt you will be able to match it exactly. If you are just replacing a slab, getting the doors unmachined will allow you to match the mortises. You didn't say if you need the slab or the entire prehung.

Old 11-16-19, 08:28 AM
Thank you for your reply XSleeper. I am trying to replace a bi-fold door on a bathroom with an entire prehung unit like an existing door on another room. I guess I can use a Jeld-Wen prehung from Home Depot. None of the doors I looked at have the nice sticking/edging on the doorstop like in the picture. Stock doors have what looks like a furring strip for a door stop. I will take a look at the links you provided.

One of the existing doors has what looks like a stylized MJ on the hinges (like in one pic). Does that mean anything?

Old 11-16-19, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 244 Votes on 225 Posts
MJ doesn't ring a bell. You can always replace the door stop with something nicer.

Old 11-24-19, 07:43 AM
Update:

I looked at the top of the doors I currently have and could make out the word "COLONIST". It was hard to read under a layer of primer. Problem solved! Thank you XSleeper for your suggestions. The ready-to-go Jeld-wen at Home Depot looks like the one, except for the stop. I might replace the stock bull nose stop with colonial. I was more concerned about matching the bead and cove sticking and they haven't changed that in 32 years.