Velux skylight leak.

Old 12-03-19, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Velux skylight leak.

Hello. I have a Velux qfs skylight, and a leak. I have done an ugly sealing job around the seams which hasn't helped much if at all, but I am starting to wonder if it is coming from the skylight itself, perhaps the glass. Could it leak at the seal and run inside the frame? I am including a picture with the area where it drips through circled.
In addition to sealing, we made a "cricket" (i think that's what it is called) out of metal for the top (on the right side of this picture), which stopped a leak at that end.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-19, 08:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 284 Votes on 260 Posts
Doubtful. I dont see any step flashing along each row of shingles, which is a must. That weird flashing at the edge does not look like the standard way to flash a skylight. Did you formerly have a metal roof? The pitch of the roof also looks pretty flat... maybe too flat for shingles... anytime you have a low pitch roof from 2:12 to 4:12 you are supposed to lap the felt paper 19" for double coverage. Shingles should never be used below 2:12. And it could also be coming from the item above the skylight, whatever that is.

You also have 2 shingles that aren't laying down next to the skylight. But the biggest problem is no stepflashing. Google Velux skylight flashing to see what I mean.

Old 12-06-19, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did whoever installed this put caulk on the bolts? My girlfriend has 5 huge round skylights and it has 12" of flashing around the base... You're going to be in a world of pain very soon if you don't resolve this..