how to go about replacing old door hinges?

Old 12-10-19, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
how to go about replacing old door hinges?

The attached photo shows the top hinge on the door from kitchen to basement in a house built in 1920s. Obviously, the hinges have been painted numerous times (by previous owners). I'd like to replace them. I bought new hinges at Home Depot and discovered that the spacing of holes on the new hinges is not the same as the spacing on the old hinges.

I believe one solution, a laborious one, is to remove the old hinges, drill the screw holes to a diameter that can be filled with the same diameter dowel (cut to appropriate length). In other words, cut pieces of dowels to glue into the drilled holes and thereby effectively restore the door frame and door edge to solid wood. Then, new holes could be drilled to create new screw holes that match the spacing of holes on new hinges.

I'm just wondering whether any easier solutions could be employed.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-19, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 285 Votes on 261 Posts
Yes that's basically what you would do. Not really laborious, just part of the job. It barely takes any time at all. I use golf tees and pound them into my pilot hole with glue and cut them off with a knife. You don't even have to wait for the glue to set up if they fit tight. Use a vix bit (self centering pilot bit) to drill pilot holes for the new hinge locations, and use the correct size screws for your hinges. They should lay flat and not protrude.

Old 12-11-19, 06:46 AM
Received 142 Votes on 132 Posts
I'm just wondering whether any easier solutions could be employed.
I'm glad to see that your approaching this the correct way and not attempting the ill fated repairs of using match sticks and toothpicks.

The wood dowel is the correct approach. The thing you have going for you, assuming that you have 3 hinges per door, is that you can remove one hinge at a time, make the repair, reinstall, them move on to the next hinge and should not have to remove the door!

I use the serrated 3/8" dowels and carpenters wood glue and it's a fix that is better than the original.

Old 12-11-19, 09:48 AM
Thanks to both of you for your comments. The door only has 2 hinges, so I expect I'll be removing the door. With 2 hinges, I think more care must be taken to get the holes for the new hinges correctly spaced so that hinges are correctly spaced from each other. I think I'll need to install one of the new hinges, then somehow stabilize the door while I install the other hinge.

Old 12-11-19, 11:01 AM
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I usually remove the door. But you can do it without removing the door. Just support the door from underneath as you work one hinge at a time. I'm renting a house built in the 1920s and it suffers from benign neglect. I am working my way through all the door hinge/latch problems.

I've used golf tees a couple of times to do this. Another thing that I do is use one overlong screw (2X12") on the jamb side in each hinge to make sure you are screwing into a stud. I think that's common on entry doors but screws are cheap so I have been doing it on interior doors.

Old 12-12-19, 06:17 PM
cwbuff, you've used 2" X 12" screws? I've used this tactic in some cases but not to that extreme.

Old 12-12-19, 08:00 PM
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
oops! 2 1/2" 0. It's probably hard to find 12"

Old 12-13-19, 06:55 AM
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
I have used tees or other splinters any number of times to repair "a" damaged screw hole, but in a case like this, lots of wear over lots of years, and most likely all of the holes worn to at least some degree, I definitely agree with Marq on dowels. It's real simple and nothing close to what I would call laborious. Drill the holes to the size of the dowels, 3/8" as Marq mentioned is perfect, lightly butter the dowels, I prefer Tite-Bond II or III, put a dab right in the hole, tap the dowels in flush so that you don't have to trim them, let them dry, and you're good to go.

Old 12-14-19, 11:17 AM
Yesterday, I worked on the door and jamb holes. The center holes on the new hinges have the same spacing as the old hinges. So, I did not do any repairing to them but perhaps I should have included them in the repair (drill, insert dowel) since they might be loose fitting for screws that came with the new hinges. So, at this, I have drilled 8 - 1/4" holes [4 for each hinge plate (2 on each side/half of the 2 hinges)] and put a piece of 1/4" dowel in each of those holes. The cutting of the dowel was a bit laborious since I had no power tool on hand to use for the cutting; I used a hand saw, holding the dowel with one hand and cutting with the other. The adhesive I had on hand was Elmer's Wood Glue, so that is what I used. I did not mount the door yet since I had more painting of it to do. And, by waiting for paint to dry, the glue will also have time to dry.

Old 12-16-19, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have to wait until the glue is stabilized or you are going to have a messy business at hand. Do not hurry and give it two three days to hold and then install the hinges.