Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions on a lockable fire-rated door between the basement and garage?

Old 01-06-20, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We recently purchased a home and during the inspection, we were told that the door between our basement and garage is just a normal door and it needs to be replaced with a fire-rated door to bring it up to code.

First, Is it true that the door connecting the garage and basement needs to be fire-rated? If so, why?

At a minimum, we'd want the door to be lockable but not sure about if fire-rated is important. We'd like to be able to lock the door in the event that an intruder is able to enter the home via the garage, it would prevent them from actually getting into the house.

Any pictures or links that y'all can show me would help in my understanding. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-20, 07:11 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
That door needs to be an exterior door. In our area it also needs to have a self-closing mechanism on it. The door needs to be sealed around the edges like your front door to ensure no exhaust fumes from a vehicle can enter the home and cause injury.

Old 01-06-20, 08:15 PM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
You would have to talk to your local building inspector to see if it needs to be self closing, it's not required here.
We just install a regular steel ext. door avalible at any home center.
I'd want one double bored so I could install a dead bolt.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 01-07-20, 07:32 AM
Received 106 Votes on 97 Posts
Any door way coming from a environment different from the interior of the home would be considered an entrance door and therefor must be fire rated. Self closing is only a local code. We do not have it here.

Old 01-11-20, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The fire rated basement door is not necessary but you should enquire and confirm from the local authorities as well as in your neighbourhood.