Double Glazing loose in frame

Old 01-08-20, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Double Glazing loose in frame

Hi everyone.
i have an issue with one of my double glazing windows. It isnít one which opens (so just a double grazing unit in a frame) but it has come loose.

if I push it from the inside the bottom of the PVC unit (if thatís the right word) moves out about 1.5 cms. Itís as if itís hinged at the top and swings out a bit.

as I said, itís not supposed to open and I canít see any screws or ways of securing the unit back into the frame.

it isnít going to fall out as Iíve pushed it quite hard and it still only moves 1.5 cms. But I donít know how to fix it back

gluing it seems wrong, as it would be gluing the PVC onto the rubber seal!

and ideas ?

thanks

james

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-20, 04:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
Welcome to the forums James!

I don't know if would be the correct fix but I'd make some small shims to hold the window tight and then caulk the gap. Some of the others may have better advice.

Old 01-08-20, 05:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
You refer to "it". What is "it"? Is the glass assembly loose inside the vinyl frame or is the non-movable sash loose inside the window frame?

Where is the rubber seal you mention located?

If it's a vinyl window then something major has gone wrong. I would look for something in the frame that is broken or has come unsnapped. Give the lower, movable sash a good looking over. Does it open and close smoothly. Is the gap even all around the perimeter and the in/out axis?

Old 01-08-20, 08:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
No way to tell you anything without a closeup picture of the glass edge inside and out, showing the area that moves. Push on it and take a photo.

Sounds to me like maybe the sash screws have come loose. A fixed window is usually just a casement window that has been permanently screwed to the frame so it cant move. Maybe in this case that whole sash is moving.

Old 01-08-20, 08:44 AM
Photos

Sorry I can see how "It" isn't the most helpful description... it's the "thing" that's loose. :-)

I've added a couple of photos which hopefully helps.

As you can see I can nearly get my finger into the gap at the bottom of the window, between the PVC inner frame and the spongey bit which lines the outer frame.

Attached Images   
Old 01-08-20, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
Yes, that's not a problem with the double glazing... It's a problem with how the sash itself was attached to the frame. Look around the inside perimeter of the frame... The perimeter that is below your index finger... And see if there are any round plugs anywhere to be found.

If not, they might have put a screw in through the side of the other windows and through the mullion (open them and look). This would be tricky because the wrong length screw would pierce the glass edge which would be bad.

Old 01-08-20, 10:20 AM
Received 71 Votes on 66 Posts
If I understand you the bottom swings out but the top does not.

You may want to go outside and look to see if a trim piece on that window has come loose.

Old 01-08-20, 12:00 PM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
Is the bottom piece with the v notches the window sill or part of the trim? If trim. it could be pulling away from the sash and/or frame.

Old 01-15-20, 05:07 AM
Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm still a bit lost... looking from the outside there is nothing missing or loose, the actual glass unit and the trim which holds it in place all swing out at the bottom.

I've looked inside the perimeter where my finger is, and can see any way that the unit should be secured into the frame, and also there are no screws coming through from the side units.

I can just about see some kind of small plastic ridge on the left in the perimeter, so maybe it is supposed to somehow clip into this. I can try to take a photo, but not sure it is going to show much.

I may have to actually get someone out to look at this, as I don't think there is any simple solution.

Old 01-15-20, 06:41 AM
Received 71 Votes on 66 Posts
If you know the brand of window try to get someone who installs that brand.