Re-Steel side entrance door

Old 06-06-01, 07:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Thanks for the advice Lefty. That sounds like a good starting point. But, I believe that just using a 3/8 bolt won't do the trick. I think that there wouldn't be enough room at the edge of the door where the hinge is to obstruct the pin from coming out. Maybe if I machine a 5/16 or 3/8 plate to stick out just a little from the edge of the door, over the head of the hinge pin, and then secure with 2- 3/8 carriage bolts( so the heads can't be turned from the outside)(sounds like a lot of work, but I really get off on complicated rigging :-) ) I think it would be a more complete solution. Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-01, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another solution would be to replace the hinges with ones that are specifically designed for this application. They have a pin on one leaf that protrudes into a hole on the other leaf. Even with the pin removed, the door cannot be pulled out of the jamb unless it is swung open first, and a deadbolt prevents that from being possible.

Also, reply to a post by posting a reply, rather than starting a new thread. Some of us in these forums read a hundred or more posts a day. It gets pretty confusing sometimes to figure out what you are talking about!! ;-)