Andersen metal storm door hinge problem

Old 02-02-20, 02:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Andersen metal storm door hinge problem

Just to start I did not install this door myself, it came with the house and is about 4 years old.

The screws that hold the hinge to the door have come loose, and the door was severely sagging. So I removed the door and now I am trying to figure out the best way to re-mount the door to the hinges. I'm not sure if the pictures are big enough, but if you look closely at the screw holes in the door you can see they are pulled a little outward from when the door started to sag.

To start, I presume I should use a small mallet or hammer to flatten that back out. But after that, what is the best way for me to make sure the screws hold tightly once I remount.

It doesn't appear there is any specific back plate. They seem to have drilled directly into the door frame and screwed directly in. Is there a type of screw I should use? Maybe the hole should be partially filled to create a stronger/tighter hold when I remount it? Think using toothpicks to secure a loose wood screw.

The previous owner obviously had some problems with the door as well because there were two types of screws in the frame. Both screw types are pictures below. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-20, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
It's pretty common for those hinges to bend when the wind whips the door open. Yes, you need to tap the hinge back to straight with a block of wood and hammer. Then use the larger of those 2 screws. That small screw is likely one of 2 screws meant to go in the sill expander.

Old 02-02-20, 04:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
I often drill new holes in the hinge & door so I can put screws in new locations that haven't been damaged.

Old 02-02-20, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
And get a safety chain if you don't have one. It has a spring shock absorber and limits/prevents the door from opening more than about 105 degrees.

Norm201 voted this post useful.