Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Fix Punctured Screw Holes in Solid Door for Bathroom

Old 03-25-20, 01:14 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Moved into a brand new construction recently. All doors like bathrooms and closets are solid wood doors, inch thick I'm guessing. However, despite using flat-head 3/4" wood screws, it punctured through a bit on the outside when I was installing towel holder. Is there a trick on how to fix this somehow? Obviously touching up with white paint will hide the grayish look but not the bumps. I don't want to try to sand it down until some pros here confirm best remedy. Thank you.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-20, 02:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 327 Posts
First I would back out each screw and use a pair of dikes (wire cutters) and nip the tip of the screw off and reinstall. That way the tips will be decently below the surface on the other side.

Next there are a couple options. If you have some thin CA (super glue) you can put a drop on the cracked area and immediately tap the raised area flat with a hammer. You have to move sorta quick as you need to squish it flat before the glue kicks. You can also just hammer the raised area flat and not bother with the glue.

Another way is to pick out the raised area leaving a divot. Then you can fill it in with wood putty and then touch-up the paint.

Old 03-25-20, 02:10 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just a heads up, door is 1.5" thick and screw is 3/4" long.

Old 03-25-20, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 564 Posts
Just a heads up, door is 1.5" thick and screw is 3/4" long.
That can't be. If the screw is going thru the door then it needs to be at least 1.5" long.