Making hollow door soundproof

Old 03-30-20, 12:00 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Making hollow door soundproof

I decided to to make my hollow door soundproof by installing soundproof foam panels inside of the door. I have successfully removed a door panel. Now the plan is to buy 1-inch foam panels (something like this), fill the inside of the door with them, and glue the panel back. Two questions:

1. Am I doing something ridiculous? I couldn't find any YouTube videos on the this kind of project.
2. What glue would you recommend I use to attach the panel back to the door frame.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-20, 12:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 435 Votes on 400 Posts
I made a aluminum cargo roof for my golf cart and I covered the underside in foam squares like you linked. They do help but you have to keep in mind that they are just foam cut to a shape similar to that used on real acoustic panels.

1. Yes, I think it is not so great idea. I don't think you will gain much sound deadening by putting those foam squares inside a hollow core door. It will help but I don't think it will be worth the cost and labor but let us know how it goes.

2. I mounted my foam tiles using 3M Super 77 spray contact adhesive. They've been on for about 2 years and still hold strong. It is a contact adhesive so the minute your parts touch that's where they will be. You can't reposition.

To make a door quieter I would first focus on getting the door to seal tight. Gasket or weather stripping material around all four sides to make sure there are no open air gaps for sound to pass through. Next I would toss the hollow core door and get a solid core door. The extra mass will help block lower frequency sounds than what a hollow cord door can do.

Old 03-30-20, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 435 Votes on 398 Posts
I would toss the hollow core door and get a solid core door.
My thoughts exactly!...........

Old 03-30-20, 02:29 PM
A
Thanks. My second question was actually about the door panel. What glue should I use to attach it back to the door frame?

Old 03-30-20, 02:38 PM
Group Moderator
Any wood glue will do. You will need to put a 1x4 or 2x4 on each side of the door and then put about 12 clamps on it to get the panel pressed tight enough into the glue... And leave that set up for 8 hrs or so to be sure it's dry before you remove the clamps.

Old 03-30-20, 03:08 PM
Received 238 Votes on 225 Posts
and get a solid core door
Had those once in a house, never again. Doors were so heavy the hinges would wear leaving black residue on the door and trim. Any time the kids would slam the door or the wind caught it you would think the door was coming off the hinges.

Next house, foam filled doors (purchased), best balance, light but solid, quiet but not heavy!

Old 03-30-20, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Cheap plated steel hinges do that. Solid brass won't. Ball bearing hinges won't.

Old 03-30-20, 04:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Yea, I've seen tons of light weight hollow core door's hinges make black dust. It's the steel hinges. The thin plating soon wears through and it's just bare steel on steel. Then in a 100 year old house with 80 pound solid mahogany doors on brass hinges they are all nice and clean.

Old 04-02-20, 01:26 PM
A
Any wood glue will do. You will need to put a 1x4 or 2x4 on each side of the door and then put about 12 clamps on it to get the panel pressed tight enough into the glue.
So does it have to be 1x4 + door + 1/4 at that each of the twelve points where I put a clamp?

Old 04-02-20, 02:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
All you have to do is hold the panel in place until the glue dries. I use tiny brads. I glue it up then nail it in place to hold it snug. Even though there are nails the glue is what really provides the strength. If you don't want to use the clamp method XSleeper mentioned you can simply lay the door flat. Glue your panel and pile on heavy stuff to hold it until the glue dries.

Old 04-02-20, 06:51 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 71 Posts
You'd be blown away to hear the difference between a hollow core door and even a standard 6-panel pine solid door. Night and day! The extra weight is what provides most of the sound dampening.

Old 04-03-20, 08:10 AM
A
If you don't want to use the clamp method XSleeper mentioned you can simply lay the door flat
I don't mind using the clamp method. It is just my clamps have an opening of 3 inches. So if I do 1x4 + door + 1x4, the clamp opening is not wide enough to grab it.

Old 04-03-20, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
If your clamp is only 3" it wont work anyway, the 1x4 is 3 1/2" wide... And the door is probably 1 3/8". The whole idea is you stand the 1x4 up the wide direction so that it is stiff enough to exert even pressure on the door with just a few clamps. Putting the 1x4 on one side is enough if you are only gluing one side at a time.

I would build a box out of 1x4s that is the same size as the door, then clamp the corners and add a clamp in the middle of each long side for good measure. If you don't get this glued and clamped good you will regret it. 6" quik clamps is what id use... But you could also just stack a lot of weight on top... Cement blocks come to mind.