Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Removing and Replacing 1980ís aluminum windows

Old 04-14-20, 02:38 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I would like to install some vinyl replacement windows on my house. Iíve watched a lot of YouTube videos on the process, but I canít seem to find any with windows similar to mine. My house was built in 1988 and the current windows are single hung aluminum frames. Do you have any idea what I would do to remove these? I canít really see how these windows are attached and the interior seems like theyíre molded into the wall and sill as one piece. Would I able to replace them without having to do any alterations to the aluminum siding? Thank you for any help you can give.

Attached Images      
Old 04-14-20, 02:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
Without alterations to the siding? No.

You need to cut 1 1/2" of siding away from the window perimeter outside. That will expose the nail fin so you can get the old ones out and the new ones in. Then you will have to add trim outside to cover the fin and edge of your cut.

Old 04-14-20, 05:34 PM
J
Received 102 Votes on 89 Posts
Cut back the siding. then what?
Once that's done there's no way to properly flash the new windows under the old siding, any "trim" added to fill that huge gap will be counting on just caulking to keep water from getting in and that will fail 100% of the time.
Far better to just bite the bullet and buy windows with built in J molding and replace the siding at the same time.

Old 04-14-20, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
Joe not sure if you have ever done this before, but as a remodeller and window installer, I do this all the time. After you cut the siding and remove the window, you can install flashing tape around the perimeter of the opening, sealing it to the existing WRB and getting it behind the siding as far as you can. After the window is installed you have room to tape the fin to the new flashing tape. Its double taped that way. Occasionally the siding gets cut twice. Once to get the old window out, and a 2nd time once the new window is temporarily set in place. Cutting the siding back farther... such as 3 1/2" makes installing the flashing tape much easier.

Not everyone replaces siding and windows at the same time. But there are ways of dealing with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: