Leaking window puzzling

Old 06-27-20, 06:03 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Leaking window puzzling

Whenever it rains, the window in my Master Bedroom leaks. Water comes out from the bottom right hand corner of the window area and either drips out or spews out with some force. The window is higher up, so when I get on a chair I can see some erosion of caulking and brown buildup on the window sill.

A Handyman came out to look at the window up close from the exterior, he said he could not see any missing caulking or sealant. He also said he looked at the very top of the window pane from the outside and could not see any clear reasoning for the problem.

The only thing the Handyman said is he could put some more caulking in the small opening on the exterior of the window in between the existing caulking and the edge of the window pane. I don't know whether to do that, if that will solve the problem or what else to do or check for.

Below are some photos - if anyone can provide some help it will be much appreciated !

Last edited by PJmax; 06-27-20 at 06:16 PM. Reason: resized pics
Old 06-27-20, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,949 Upvotes on 1,749 Posts
Your middle picture shows water puddles sitting on top of the bottom edge of the window frame. So where is that water coming from? Is it dripping from the top of the window? Or is it coming from the bottom edge of the glass. It makes a big difference.

Also, we have no idea what the rest of the house looks like on that side. Is there a window above that one? Or a deck? Or a roofline? Sometimes leaks originate farther up the wall... and the window is just the first place the water has a chance to get out.

laawaaris voted this post useful.
Old 06-27-20, 10:32 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Water leaks from windows can be tough to find at times, but from what you have shown Id say it's not that spot, As XS states its probably up higher!

Old 06-28-20, 05:36 AM
L
The water does not come dripping from the top - it seems to be coming from the bottom edge of the glass.

If the water is coming from the bottom edge of the glass then what would the repair look like or what would it be?

Above this window is another window on the second floor. That window above is not showing any signs of water leaks or erosion.

Old 06-28-20, 06:23 AM
Group Moderator
If its coming around the glass you will need to wet glaze the outside of the glass to the frame. This simply means to caulk the perimeter of the glass. You have to use 100% silicone, which is the only sealant to use as glazing. You could use clear or Terratone. If you are not comfortable with caulking a neat line you can use painter's tape to mask it off which will help you make it look neat.

First, take a clean rag and some denatured alcohol and clean the perimeter of the glass edge and the frame. That will take a while to completely dry. You would then tape the face of the frame, following the line where it starts to curve back to the glass... leaving that curve exposed. Then mask off the perimeter of the glass, leaving 1/8" of glass exposed along the edge.

Once you are ready to caulk it, cut a very fine tip on your silicone. (If you use clear, Gorilla silicone is one of the better brands available at box / hardware stores. The best silicone to use you would likely need to order online... its Dow Corning 795) Caulk all 4 sides quickly, being sure you force it into the gap and do not leave any voids.

Then take a spray bottle filled with rubbing alcohol and liberally spritz it all over the sealant. Then tool the silicone with your finger... wiping it down tight, removing the excess, wiping it on paper towels to keep your fingers clean, and leaving only a nice thin bead between the edges of the tape. It has to stay wet with rubbing alcohol as you do this.

You have to do all this quickly, in just a minute or two, or else the silicone will skim over and clot. Once you have it tooled, immediately pull the tape off, and try not to get it on the window as you pull it off.

I would suggest you set up a scaffold, or at least 2 step ladders and a plank so that you can stand in front of the window to do all of this.

Old 06-28-20, 08:08 AM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
Also check to make sure that drain vent is not full of dirt.

Old 06-30-20, 05:49 AM
L
Where would the drain vent be located and what would it look like?

Old 06-30-20, 05:58 AM
Group Moderator
It's the weep hole visible in your last 2 photos.

Old 06-30-20, 06:18 AM
L
XSleeper - I went ahead and did the wet glazing like you said. You might be able to see the finished work in the photos. Thank you so much. However I still feel there may be another problem

The weep hole is full of mud. Actually I think it is full of slime or something. Those little weep holes are like flaps and are designed to open and close. However these weep holes are kind of black and slimy now and they do not open or close.

If these are the drain vents / weep holes could it be possible they are clogged? How can I clean these weep holes to allow for release of water?

I took pictures of whole window, the clogged / black / slimy weep holes and also a picture of the weep hole which is in good condition for the window right next to it.

Old 06-30-20, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
I'd suggest you pop the weep hole cover off. You would need to VERY GENTLY put a thin putty knife behind the edges of it and pry out very slightly. First one end and then the other. Do this a few times until you start to wiggle it out. They sometimes break but you can get replacements easy enough. (Just google "weep hole cover almond" or something to that effect.) Measure the old one carefully as you order the new one so that you get the right one.

Once it's out of there you can often use a narrow pipe cleaner to somewhat clean it out. Those spaces are impossible to clean perfectly so you just do the best you can and pop the weep cover back in.

If the flaps are gunked up you might just want to order new ones even if you get the old ones off without breaking them.

The mud came from travelling with the water that has been leaking around the edges of the glass. So hopefully now that you have wet glazed the glass, even if the channel is plugged with mud and slime, you wont have any more problems.

Old 06-30-20, 07:31 AM
L
XSleeper I will try the putty knife and pipe cleaner. If I pop off the weep hole cover, do I really need to replace it with a new one? What will happen if I do not replace is and simply pop it off?

Also, if the water was seeping in through the edges of the glass, where would that water go? I am looking in between the two panes of glass (exterior pane and interior pane). I do not see any water or condensation or even mud/debris in between the two panes.

So is it possible if the water was seeping or leeking in through the edge of the exterior glass could have gone somewhere else? Could it somehow have gone directly below to the weep hole without collecting in between the two panes of glass?

Old 06-30-20, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
There are holes in the frame below the glass that you cannot see. Water that gets past the glazing tape is supposed to drain through those holes that are hidden and it's supposed to make its way to the weep holes.

If the weep holes are plugged it's conceivable that water could not drain down to the weep holes which may partially explain why the water that got under the glass leaked in. Wet glazing the glass solved that part of the equation.

Up to you whether or not you want to replace them.

The 2 panes of glass are a sealed unit. You would not see anything between the panes.

Old 06-30-20, 04:40 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Above this window is another window on the second floor.
My money is on the second story window, something is leaking up there, working it's way down the wall and entering into the first floor, I've seen it too many times.

Do your due diligence on first floor, wait for rain, see what happens!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: