Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Unsticking old painted-shut windows: 1-3/8 in paint scraper?

Old 07-27-20, 01:03 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Trying to get a house ready to rent, and every single window has been painted shut (there's central heat and air). Consulted with an expert window-restorer who said we only need remove the paint from the...I may not have the correct term here....channels (?) that the windows run up and down in. It's a 1-3/8 inch wide channel, and he said if we remove the paint (with a scraper and/or paint remover) and apply paraffin quite liberally, we'd be in business.

Is there such a thing as a 1-3/8 inch wide paint scraper? I did a little Googling and didn't come up with anything.

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

07-27-20, 02:15 AM
marksr
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
It might help if you posted a pic of one of the windows.
What I've done with paint stuck windows is to cut the paint bond between the sash and frame, then stick a stiff putty knife in at various points and gently rock it back and forth. Once the sides are broke loose you can take the putty knife and insert it under the window and pry up.

Old 07-27-20, 02:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
It might help if you posted a pic of one of the windows.
What I've done with paint stuck windows is to cut the paint bond between the sash and frame, then stick a stiff putty knife in at various points and gently rock it back and forth. Once the sides are broke loose you can take the putty knife and insert it under the window and pry up.

joecaption, wilberfan, XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 07-27-20, 07:51 AM
W
I meant to post an image. I've done exactly as you describe to "free" the window--but they often will only rise an inch or two. My expert said the paint in that channel needs to be removed/reduced and coated liberally with paraffin.

Old 07-27-20, 09:59 AM
M
Received 156 Votes on 143 Posts
Just Google "1 inch paint scraper"
Or you could use paint stripper and a 1 inch putty knife which may be more readily available.

wilberfan voted this post useful.
Old 07-27-20, 10:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
I normally use a painters tool as they tend to be heavier duty than a putty knife. You normally only have to scrape the track area that touches the front and back of the sash.

wilberfan voted this post useful.
Old 07-27-20, 11:13 AM
W
Something like this?

Old 07-27-20, 03:26 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
Cut the paint line with a utility knife, then tap in a 5 in one scrapper has always worked for me.
No clue why anyone would use just a 1" knife.
The tracks never should have been painted, but if the window now moves there's no reason to remove the old paint.
For future sale value, never going to have to deal with this again, lower heating cost, and less outside noise I would have just installed new replacement windows.

Old 07-27-20, 05:11 PM
H
Received 90 Votes on 79 Posts
You have to A) cut the windows free from the paint on the lower channel, and then B) scrape the paint off the upper channel to a uniform width so you can lift the window.

I've done this before with 1970s sunroom full of cranked-out-windows that were painted shut inside and out, hanging out one 2nd floor window to cut the next one free.

Here's what I did
First, use a box cutter / utility knife to break the bead of the paint holding the window to the rail.

Second, break the window free from the rail using a razor blade glass scraper in one hand to plunge down at a 45 degree angle, working down like a can opener, while the other hand slides a flat-head screw driver down at 90 degrees to break off paint chips AND to keep the paint bead under tension to make it easier to cut.

Third, I bought a dollar store paint scraper that was WIDER than the channel, then used a pair of pliers to BEND it to the width of the lower window. Then used that to scrape the excess paint off the channel to make sure it was wide enough.