Door bounces open, replace hinges?

Old 08-28-20, 05:52 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Door bounces open, replace hinges?

I've watched a bunch of videos online, shimmed the hinge side, bent the knuckles, seems it helped some with how tight the gap was on the latch side, but made this bouncing issue worse.
It looks like the hinges are hitting too early near the knuckles, anyway to fix this? Need some direction!
Thanks.

Old 08-28-20, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The gap between the door and jamb is gigantic. I believe you have the hinges installed backward. Either that or they are bent.

Take the hinge completely off. When you close the hinge, the two leaves should lay parallel to each other with no bend in them... and barely any gap between them. The leaves should lay flat on one another. I'm guessing you have the hinge installed backward... in full open position instead of full closed position.... if that makes any sense.

Old 09-11-20, 12:51 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I finally got around to taking the hinges off, used 2 crescent wrenches to bend the knuckles back so that the leaves lay flat, it's definitely helped out a lot! They were not installed backwards, but the previous owners appear to have been a bit negligent, I'm guessing that's where all the "bentness" came from.
Still a little too saggy on the latch side, I'll have to play with the top/bottom hinge a bit more to get it right.
The gap on the hinge side is still a little too much I think, I don't how I could fix that without taking a chisel to the frame.
Thanks for the help XSleeper!

Old 09-11-20, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
New hinges might help. Ball bearing hinges will usually be of the highest quality.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: