Casement window crank broken wont open

Old 09-21-20, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Casement window crank broken wont open

I have a casement window with a broken crank where the gear sheared in half. Half of the gear is in the handle and the other half is stuck in the window frame. It also leaks in a heavy down pour.

So to replace the crank mechanism I have got to get it open but I can't because the crank is broken. Even with the window unlocked I can't push the window open either so wondering what my options are?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-20, 12:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Stick a thin putty knife under the bottom trim piece that your screen sits on, and carefully pry it up. Once you have removed it, it will expose the rest of the operator, and you will probably need to cut the arm off with a grinder and 1/16" abrasive wheel. Once you free it up you should be able to push the window open, remove the operator parts, and order a new one. Have someone push the window shut on the outside so that you can lock it on the inside.

Old 09-21-20, 12:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
The last one I did the window trim immediately above the casement operator came off. I used a putty knife and painters tool to carefully pry it up. Once that trim was off there are two mounting screws underneath that held the operator in place. With those screws out hopefully you can push the window open and be able to pull the arms out and disconnect it from the window.

Old 09-21-20, 12:43 PM
Group Moderator
Those operators typically have 4 or more screws, some will be visible but others will likely be trapped under the still closed operator. Which is why the arms would need to be cut off.

Old 09-21-20, 12:56 PM
Talking about a putty knife in-between here? No way I can push it in from the outside as its nearly 45 feet off the ground and I have 0 interest being that high up on a ladder. I could just suction it closed if I needed to.

Or I just get a professional out here to replace it and fix the leak.

Old 09-21-20, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, that's the spot. If you can pull it shut with a suction cup, more power to ya.

Judging from your first photo, no way thats 45 ft up... but thats besides the point.

23andme voted this post useful.
Old 09-21-20, 01:00 PM
I don't really have any other choice if I do get it open. Maybe send my wife up the ladder haha. Oh and is there anyway to identify who made these windows? There isn't anything on the glass except for HWDI IGCC CBA L402CC.