Double hung window fell off track

Old 10-15-20, 12:32 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Double hung window fell off track

I have old vinyl double hung windows and hey are very hard to open and close and often one side doesnít line up and i have to make several attempts to line it up so it doesnít fall out of the jam.
this morning i could not close the window. It was stuck at about 4 inches open at the bottom. Then the unthinkable happened and a piece broke off 😖
i think itís the foot? Can someone tell me if itís beyond repair? The metal portion looks slightly twisted; however, maybe thatís how it is supposed to be? Also looks like by screw broke off -
i cant find any window company willing to come and look at it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-20, 12:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
Not surprising no one will look at it since some parts are impossible to find... And even if they did, it's not profitable to repair. The pivot bar that you have pictured is probably obsolete and the photo from one angle isn't enough to go on. What usually happens is the screws strip out when the sash is forced and once they are stripped you are kind of hosed.

You haven't given us any information to suggest WHY it was operating hard. The parts that pivot bar fit into is called the pivot shoe... And there are many sizes and kinds. You should attempt to use a large flat screwdriver to twist the pivot... (Which is what the pivot bar does) and see if the pivot shoe is under any spring tension or not.

When you turn the pivot shoe release in one direction, it locks the shoe so that it cannot slide up and down, like a brake shoe. The brake slot position is near vertical... when the window is tipped down to clean. When you turn it 90 degrees... when the brake slot position is horizontal, the pivot shoe is free to slide up and down.

The pivot shoe is connected to some sort of spring balance... Either a spiral balance... A block and tackle balance with a cord... Or a constant force balance, which is a tape measure-like spring.

If you turn the pivot shoe brake in either direction and nothing happens you probably have a problem with the balance. Or your pivot shoe could be broken.

Either way we don't have enough info to help.

Old 10-16-20, 09:01 AM
B
I have no idea why the window has a hard time opening and closing. I always assumed it was because the house was old and the opening didnít perfectly fit the window. I have included additional photos of what I believe is the shoe that came unattached from the window.

Old 10-16-20, 09:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
First I would figure out why the sash isn't moving freely. Have the side frames of the window moved inwards? Have the sides of the frame twisted? Has paint gummed up the tracks somehow? Do the pivot bar sliders move up and down freely when rotated to the unlocked position (keep in mind that they are spring loaded and may shoot upwards when you unlock them if you aren't apply good weight to hold them down). Are the counter-balancers working and moving freely?

After you've fixed why the sash doesn't move freely I'd get the next size larger screw. If what you have is a #10 I'd get a #12 and drill out the hole in the pivot bar, enlarge the countersink and then reinstall the pivot bar using the original hole.

Old 10-16-20, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
That was the point of my long reply... To tell him how to diagnose why the pivot shoe isn't moving.

Old 10-16-20, 09:59 AM
B
I will need assistance to remove the window this weekend to get a good look at what is going on. The window is very heavy and awkward to remove from the track.
Just to clarify, I believe the shoe that cane unattached should be screwed into window. Iím afraid some do the screw broke off into the screw opening in the window pane frame.
Am I screwed (no pun intended) if thatís what happened?

Old 10-16-20, 10:04 AM
B
*correction to my previous reply
i meant to say the FOOT came unattached from the window (the part with the glass)
​​​​​​​

Old 10-16-20, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Swisco does not have that part, (its a pivot bar) I will check one other place. The part with the glass is the "sash".

Old 10-16-20, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
In post #3, the 2nd photo... The bottom edge looks a little rough. When you examine it, does it look like another flange has snapped off? Perhaps a flange that had another screw? I guess looking at the side that isn't broke (yet) might help. It appears that maybe your pivot bars come in a set... Left and right.

it's also hard for me to tell from the pics if that piece is twisted (bent) or if it's supposed to be twisted at a 45 degree angle. Can't tell if it's that way at the base or if it's flat at the base and twisted toward the end.

Old 10-16-20, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
There is also nothing like it in the Strybuc catalogs.

Old 10-17-20, 05:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
That does look like it's broken. Two mounting screws make sense since you don't want it rotating out of position. That could explain why your sash has been hard to move. The tab's elongated shape rotates the lock in the track. When the sash is in place it's rotated to the unlocked position so the window can move up and down freely. But, when you tilt the sash in that rotates the lock so the the counter balance springs don't try to raise the sash.

If you look in your window tracks do you have a sticker with the manufacturer's name? I've quickly looked online and am not finding an exact match for your part. It looks like cast zinc or aluminum which is cheap and easy for a manufacturer to have their own custom hardware made.

As a last resort that part can be made by someone with a welder and/or machine shop.

Old 10-21-20, 06:00 PM
B
They are CertainTeed windows.
a handyman just came out, confirms the piece is broken. He took the pieces with him and said he would try or order it. I will look at the other side and try and send a photo.
I emailed a couple window part companies, we will see what they say.
i do appreciate everyoneís help.

Old 10-21-20, 06:16 PM
B
Waiting for a reply from Swisco, but I believe the part I need is the certainteed pivot bar item 26-175. They donít make the one I have, but this is the part that can be used. I just donít know how to attach it to the sash.

Old 10-21-20, 07:49 PM
B
Okay, I removed the window and have taken photos of the pivot bar on the other side and have confirmed that the pivot shoe on the opposite side is broken. The metal piece that you can twist with the screwdriver is collapsed, so it must have snapped when the opposite side came unattached.

I took a photo of the window track area, I believe this is the "constant force" balance type system?

I am going to try and order the pivot bar from Swissco and the shoe. Does anyone know how to remove the shoe? I saw a you tube video, I believe I need spreaders? There doesn't appear to be any cutout to remove it.

https://www.swisco.com/Pivot-Bar-Pai...ot-Bars/26-175

and

https://www.swisco.com/CertainTeed-P...k-Shoes/15-192 (currently out of stock)

After watching some videos on swisco, I believe the coil balance should be connected to the pivot shoe. At the moment, they are not connected at all. Could this be why I've always had trouble opening/closing the window?

Old 10-21-20, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Check out the Strybuc catalog, page 131. Some parts of the 96-C series are obsolete and have been replaced with a new style.