Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Is there a standard on how windows are counted?

Old 10-19-20, 07:31 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts

I wonder, is there any standard, typical, customary ways to count windows?

I am not asking in order to get estimates on window glazing or cleaning or whatever, those are typically priced by each pane, not each window.

I have some city building ordinance that dictates the manner by which you have to update your windows based on window counts or percentages. In other words, if you have 20 windows on your house, and you changed 18 of them to impact windows, they want you to change them all. But if you are only changing two, you can wait on the other 18 till a later time.

Obviously, I can direct this question to the building officials, but there are two issues.

(1) Because of COVID, all of them are working from home. No one is doing face to face, email or phone consultation. They are not reachable. You want to submit a permit application? Go ahead, drop that into a cardboard box labeled "SUBMIT PERMITS HERE", outside the building on a banquet table, pay $250 and find out 3 weeks later if it's approved or denied.

(2) I am trying to figure out a way where I can count it in such a way it would benefit me and argue that my count is the correct count if there isn't any explicit language in their code that deals with how they are counted.

OK, so here are my questions.

(A) This is one single window even though it has multiple panes, right?

(B) There are two windows here because there are some wall between the two correct?

(C) Same reasoning, two windows here?

(E) There are four windows in the next image, and three in the one after?

(F) How many windows are there behind the two columns?

(G) How many windows to the left of the french doors?

(H) How many windows are here? Just one giant mosaic window? or multiple ones?

In pictures F, G, H, about 30% of these panes can be opened with a crank operator from the inside.

Old 10-19-20, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,420 Votes on 1,313 Posts
Wow.... you have a lot of windows. I lost track at 100. Just kidding.
I would think that one unit is counted as one window but that's just a guess.

Old 10-20-20, 03:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Generally one window is one window unit no matter how many panes. I think where it get complicated is in the bottom 2 pics. I'd think if you replaced multiples with one unit it would count as one but if it takes multiple units then each one would count.

Have you talked to any window companies to get their take?

Old 10-20-20, 08:45 AM
Received 462 Votes on 430 Posts
So I have never thought replacing an existing window, not adding, not enlarging required any type of permit but I understand that different areas have different requirements!

Old 10-20-20, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,420 Votes on 1,313 Posts
The problem in his area is that they want all the windows to be replaced with blast/wind proof units due to storms.

Old 11-02-20, 02:41 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You need to look up [ask them] what they describe A Window as.
If the glass moves open to close, it is an operating VENT
If the section of glass is in A Frame [ metal,wood,vinyl] that can be removed from the Master Frame or rough frame opening it is a Picture window
If the section of Glass is Glued to a Rough opening frame it is a Dead Light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: