Drywall around windows

Old 12-19-20, 04:40 AM
Q
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Drywall around windows

We had a contractor install some windows and they finished the drywall like in the pictures but it took a very long time due to the way the framing was behind. We have some more windows to install and I'm wondering if there isn't a quicker way. I'm doing the plastering myself so instead of the drywall next to the wall, couldn't I just fill it with either foam or with spackling/quickset? Then mesh tape over the top and corners? Seems that would be much easier than fitting in strapping/blocking and cutting drywall to fit?

https://imgur.com/a/ZLp6RGS

Old 12-19-20, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
The way he did it is correct.

Old 12-19-20, 05:13 AM
Q
Isn't there a quicker way just to fill with plaster?
i mean it took him 4 hrs per window to put drywall pieces in. Might be correct but it was expensive in labour.
Plaster initial coat would be like 30mins. I was thinking it wouldn't crack with some sort of backer and mesh.
  • ​​​​

Old 12-19-20, 05:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 724 Posts
I normally trim windows with wood. If you are going for all sheetrock then it does need to be sheetrock. If you tried to fill those large voids with foam or mud it would quickly crack and fall out.

Old 12-19-20, 05:36 AM
Received 462 Votes on 430 Posts
couldn't I just fill it with either foam
XS, what is your line about foam, something about having to wait 30 days?

There is always a shortcut, cheaper, and faster way and then the next guy is here asking how to fix!

I guess that is what I thought everybody came here for, to find out how to do it right the first time and dispel the DIY mantra?

Old 12-19-20, 06:37 AM
Q
I'm all for doing it the right way, was just wondering if there was a cheaper way.
i can of course do the drywall myself next time and see if it should really take 4hrs per window
I was hoping mesh would prevent the cracking

Old 12-19-20, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 289 Votes on 252 Posts
i mean it took him 4 hrs per window to put drywall pieces in.
4hrs for just the drywall install or for replacing the entire window, installing the drywall, and mudding it up? If it is just for the drywall that sounds a little extreme, but then again, I am not there doing it.

Old 12-19-20, 09:21 AM
Q
Just the drywall plus adding blocking and other stuff behind the gap to screw the drywall into

Old 02-21-21, 12:19 PM
Q
Got another 5 windows to do now.
would it be possible to fill the gap with polyfilla, durabond, or 20min mud, let it dry, then mesh tape, then mud? Shouldn't the mesh tape prevent any cracking?
I've heard of some putting mesh in the gap to reinforce then 20min mud then tape over the top.

Maybe better on the gaps that are only 1/2"-1" wide?

Old 02-21-21, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
No photos, so we are left guessing what you are looking at on these other 5 windows. If you need corner bead, that's why it is filled with drywall first. Then corner bead. Then mud and tape.

Old 02-22-21, 03:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
I can't imagine needing 4 hrs to fix framing and then wrapping the return with drywall!

The window stool shouldn't be drywall, it needs to be wood, tile, marble, etc.

Old 02-22-21, 04:33 AM
Q
The part that takes long is this.
The return has to be shimmed for the drywall to make the return vertical and horizontally level. I then have to fit in a tiny piece of drywall in the same plane as the wall, which varies from 1/2" to maybe 4" in some cases.
It's this second bit that I was wondering if I can just fill it initially with hot mud and then after it's dry, tape over the top as normal for support and then corner bead.
Drywall https://imgur.com/a/SaRT9S0
Drywall 2 https://imgur.com/a/IcboZ9W

Last edited by qwertyjjj; 02-22-21 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-25-21, 11:29 AM
T
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Do I understand that you want to fill the void behind the piece of rock that we are seeing edge on rather than putting some blocking behind that? How far from that edge to the first stud? Then how far from that edge to the plane of the rock that we are seeing on the face? Will you have to put a narrow piece of something next to that edge to reach the plane of the face? To what will you screw that? I can picture how I could fill and build all of that out of plaster if there were something to hang the plaster on. It should be plaster not joint compound even setting mud, because that just does not have the body to form a corner and fill a deep gap. It will just run out the bottom. If I am seeing what I think I am seeing I could build it out of plaster but I wouldn't do it for myself or, for the sake of my reputation, for someone else. Some things might work but then again they might not. My reputation is not worth the experiment.
And with reference to the first set of pictures, that looks good. How much had to be done in order to get to that point? We can't judge the time because we don't know what is or was not behind the rock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: