Andersen Windows Wood Removal

Old 12-20-20, 05:28 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Andersen Windows Wood Removal

Hello,

I am trying to fix the wood around the window in a house we recently moved into but I am not sure the best way to remove the piece in the picture below. Hopefully you can see i was able to get rid of the first decorative piece and this is what remains. Can anyone give me some tips if possible or a good idea?

The poly and stain was coming off and flaking badly so was wanting to sand it down lightly and restain and poly. I was using a putty type knife to try and get under the wood with limited luck as it was pretty secure and he one piece i did it felt to me like I could easily break the window and I sure do not want to do that.

Thanks for the helps and tips

Old 12-20-20, 06:13 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 372 Upvotes on 332 Posts
Which of the pieces are you trying to remove?

All of them, other than the casement molding, are pretty well secured in there. I believe they would all require the removal of the side rails first, and the one or two against the window are part of the window assembly and likely glued/caulked in place.

Whatever you're trying to repair, I would sand and stain in-place without removing. It'll of course take a bit more time to sand down, but I don't think you'll get them out otherwise without a huge project.

Old 12-20-20, 06:52 AM
B
Thanks for the reply and I am trying to remove the below pieces.

I think you are right and why I asked and appreciate the input.

Do you have some tips to sand, stain and poly in place to not damage the window but get it to look best?

Old 12-20-20, 06:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,749 Upvotes on 1,573 Posts
Those pieces are fastened to the window jamb with pocket screws, which are only accessible through the rough opening, so you would need to remove the casing and trim in front of it to get at those screws. They also have a tongue that fits into a groove on the frame of the window. Hopefully they were not glued.

Old 12-20-20, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
Oh, I thought you were trying to remove the pieces in front.

Question, when you stick your putty knife under that trim, how far does the putty knife go in? 1/4? Or 1 1/4?

Old 12-20-20, 07:09 AM
B
No problem and appreicate it. I am wondering if some might have been glued as I felt like i was going to damage either the wood or worse the glass while trying to get that putty knife under.

I had tried to do this in place but was having a hard time getting the poly off as when I sanded, applied the stain and it dried i saw that it must have acted like a stripper as I had chunks come up when i rand my hand across it. That is what was driving me to try and remove them and use a orbital sander

Old 12-20-20, 07:12 AM
B
Apologies we were commenting the same time.
When I try and get it under I simply can't in much of it as it is denting the wood. I can get under the piece on the bottom probably a good half inch but the vertical pieces but against the piece on the bottom so need to remove those first it seems.

Old 12-20-20, 07:59 AM
Group Moderator
If the putty knife doesn't go all the way under, then that is part of the window frame and it doesn't come off. It is the piece that has the groove in it that accepts the jamb, and it is not removable.

Old 12-20-20, 02:36 PM
L
Received 10 Upvotes on 10 Posts
If you can get the piece of wood to lay flat, why not add a thin strip of pre-finished wood on top of the area you are concerned about?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: