Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Replacing Lawrence brand exterior door hinges

Old 12-26-20, 09:53 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I Am replacing all of the door hardware in our home, including two exterior doors. The hinges on those doors are Lawrence brand 4Ē exterior hinges with four staggered screw holes. I cannot find 4Ē hinges with the same hole pattern at any big box store. I searched quite a while online and thought I found a match, but only two of the 4 screw holes line up on both sides of the hinge, leaving two that donít line up. Could I use the dowel trick on the frame where the holes donít line up to fill the old holes and then just drill new holes that match the new hinges? Could I do something similar on the door itself? Gets a bit more tricky on the doors, as they are metal. Pics of the current hinges below.

ĎThanks

in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by Zippy2; 12-26-20 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Smaller attachments
Old 12-26-20, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 936 Votes on 854 Posts
There are thousands of sources. A Google search for 4x4 hinge 5/8 radius brings up many results that match. Here is one:

https://www.hardwaresource.com/stain...xoC9mIQAvD_BwE

And yes, if the holes don't match exactly you can fill the old holes and drill new ones. But its obviously better to use the same hole.

Old 12-26-20, 10:31 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, appreciate the reply and I have been googling away. I have learned itís just not so simple. Case in point: the link you shared is an exact match to the replacement hinges I bought and therefore also donít line up to the existing Lawrence hinges. I have one of the current hinges out at the moment, so I sized the image at the link above to 4Ē and compared to the actual original/replacement hinges here to confirm the comparisons made above.

ADDED: Breakthrough. This specific / unique hole pattern was used for Benchmark brand doors. I have found a match at the link below. I canít get oil rubbed bronze, so Iíve bought the primed ones and will paint them.

https://www.doorware.com/site/product.cfm?id=376923

Last edited by Zippy2; 12-26-20 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Adding link
Old 12-26-20, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 936 Votes on 854 Posts
Nothing says the holes have to match exactly. If the hinge fits, it will work. It may mean you have to fill the old holes and drill new ones. Not a big deal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: