Composite door frame

Old 03-03-21, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Composite door frame

I purchased a new front door and have a question on installation. The door is a standard fiberglass door, but has 2 side lites and a composite frame. Normally I would replace one of the hinge screws with a longer screw and then hide the screws on the other side behind the weatherstripping. Or just screw through the wood frame and fill the screw holes and paint it. With a composite frame and side lites, I need to change my approach. I assume I would just screw through the composite frame on each side, but what is the best method to fill these screw holes. Do you simply fill with caulk? Some sort of plastic screw hole cap? I've also seen composite screw hole plugs, but they tend to be geared more towards decks from what I can tell. Any suggestions on the right approach. Thanks.

Old 03-03-21, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
You didn't say what color your jamb is. I assume its white. But typically on a composite jamb, I would use a composite deck screw, and assuming it is white, fill the hole with JB Waterweld (a 2 part epoxy stick that you knead into a white putty). It is usually close enough to match. If you need plugs, these are probably the most economical. You need their bit and screws. They have a youtube video, just type in Simpson DCU. If your jamb is white you would want the Simpson DCU plugs for either Versatex or Azek.

Or just fill the holes with any painters putty and paint it.

Contrary to what most people think, pvc and composite trim should usually be painted... and that is the best way to make all your fasteners disappear. Even though it is typically white, the vinyl attracts dirt due to its static charge. Paint will hold great and unlike wood, it should never need paint again unless you used cheap paint or your dog or cat scratches it or you just want to change trim colors.

Old 03-03-21, 04:22 PM
J
Received 99 Votes on 87 Posts
They sell trim head screws with plugs.
I've used them many times and when done there almost invisable.
No painting or fillers needed.
The box came with the screws, plugs, and a tapered bit.
AZEK is one company that sells them.
My local real lumber yard stocks them.

Old 03-04-21, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, it's a white composite jamb. Thanks for both of your replies. I will look into my options a bit more, but this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: